Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Brendon M. Maragia" <br...@commaflex.com> on 2001/09/30 07:39:37 UTC

simple apache/tomcat 4.0/gnu-linux setup question from a newbie.

Hey List,

I'm trying to setup jakarta tomcat 4.0 for the first time and i'm trying to
get some sort of virtual hosting deal going on that forwards connections
from apache on port 80 to tomcat on port 8080 when a persons URL is entered.
I currently have mod_webapp.so installed properly and included in
httpd.conf.  I haven't added any lines to my <VirtualHost> directives
because I have a virtual host defined in server.xml, and I like the idea of
being able to add new webapps using web.xml instead of defining a new one in
httpd.conf every time.  So below you will find the directory structure i'm
trying to use and a few lines from my configuration files.

Basically I just want to be able to type in a URL and get apache to hand off
the request for servlets defined in web.xml and *.jsp files forwarded to
tomcat 4.0.  Possible maybe?

# users web directory
/websites/commaflex.com/public_html

# users WEB-INF
/websites/commaflex.com/public_html/WEB-INF/web.xml
/websites/commaflex.com/public_html/WEB-INF/classes
/websites/commaflex.com/public_html/WEB-INF/classes/HelloWorldExample.class
/websites/commaflex.com/public_html/index.jsp

# excerpt from server.xml
<Host name="www.commaflex.com" debug="0"
appBase="/websites/commaflex.com/public_html">
<Context path="" docBase="" debug="0" reloadable="true"/>
</Host>

# excerpt from web.xml
<servlet>
<servlet-name>HelloWorldExample</servlet-name>
<servlet-class>HelloWorldExample.class</servlet-class>
</servlet>

<servlet-mapping>
<servlet-name>HelloWorldExample</servlet-name>
<url-pattern>/hello</url-pattern>
</servlet-mapping>

Sincerely,
Brendon Maragia

"I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our monied
corporations which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of
strength, and bid defiance to the laws our country" --Thomas Jefferson

apache/tomcat 4.0/gnu-linux setup question