Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com> on 2000/04/30 22:59:12 UTC

Re: [Catalina]

Remy Maucherat wrote:

> Good news, my servlet works very well.
>
> Some comments and questions :
> - InputStream and OutputStream performance is really slow (I suppose it's
> because there're not buffered yet), but they work.

For input stream buffering, my feeling is that it's the Connector's
responsibility to provide that (because it might be serving out of a byte array,
and buffering inside the core servlet container would be wasteful).  I will
modify the existing HTTP Connector, which is really a placeholder until we have
a full-featured HTTP/1.1 implementation available (work in progress).

For output, the response itself is responsible for providing buffering.  Until
my last check-in last night I was defaulting to a 1-byte buffer.  Now, it
defaults to 2048 (and the servlet can make it bigger if they want).

> - I saw that basic authentication support is implemented. Has it been tested
> ?

Haven't tried it yet ... but the implementation architecture is so much simpler
than the way it works in Tomcat 3.1 that repairing any bugs should be easy :-).

> - The servlet invoker works for basic stuff :-) Didn't test anything complex
> yet.

Likewise .. it serves the examples but I haven't tried to stress it's
functionality yet.

> Remy

Craig