Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de> on 2004/02/09 20:37:41 UTC

Re: FileSystem v.s. Other Resources [was configurable Location?]

* "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:

> You hit the nail on the head - Alias (and mod_rewrite) cause us the greatest
> grief in fixing this set of issues.  *IF* they all are parsed in the
> translate name phase we are fine, since map_to_storage is run after
> translate_name is done.
>
> If they are not handled up front we have problems (some translations can
> occur in the fixup phase, IIRC, which is wrong IMHO.)

No. Alias translations and RewriteRules in servercontext are handled in the
translate_name hook. Fixup rewrites (->internal redirects) or
mod_alias-redirects in directory context are only triggered by per-directory
configuration, which would be skipped in that case.

The only issue in mod_rewrite could be the Type/Handler forcing which occurs
also in fixup, where is the right place for such things (to force something).

nd

Re: FileSystem v.s. Other Resources [was configurable Location?]

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
* "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:

> >The only issue in mod_rewrite could be the Type/Handler forcing which
> >occurs also in fixup, where is the right place for such things (to force
> >something).
>
> Don't they result in internal redirects?  In that case there is nothing
> wrong when the internal redirect starts a new request cycle with the
> modified uri/filename.

Type or handler forcing just does ap_set_content_type or sets r->handler
respectively. (like ForceType does).

nd

Re: FileSystem v.s. Other Resources [was configurable Location?]

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
At 01:37 PM 2/9/2004, André Malo wrote:
>* "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
>
>> You hit the nail on the head - Alias (and mod_rewrite) cause us the greatest
>> grief in fixing this set of issues.  *IF* they all are parsed in the
>> translate name phase we are fine, since map_to_storage is run after
>> translate_name is done.
>>
>> If they are not handled up front we have problems (some translations can
>> occur in the fixup phase, IIRC, which is wrong IMHO.)
>
>No. Alias translations and RewriteRules in servercontext are handled in the
>translate_name hook. Fixup rewrites (->internal redirects) or
>mod_alias-redirects in directory context are only triggered by per-directory
>configuration, which would be skipped in that case.

Ahhh of course.

>The only issue in mod_rewrite could be the Type/Handler forcing which occurs
>also in fixup, where is the right place for such things (to force something).

Don't they result in internal redirects?  In that case there is nothing wrong when
the internal redirect starts a new request cycle with the modified uri/filename.

Bill