Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by vinaysahil chandran <sa...@yahoo.com> on 2002/02/19 20:16:15 UTC

[AltRMI] Event Notifier

Hi,
> Sorry dude, I turned the bat files into ant targets
> :
>
>    ant -buildfile tests2.xml procon-serve
>    ant -buildfile tests2.xml procon-client

Dont be sorry ! .
I should be .
Ant targets are more a consistent means to work with.
Anyways on another page , I feel it would be good
exercise to have the Event Notifier pattern working
over AltRMI transport,
something along the lines of the same pattern
over RMI .(ref
http://www.javareport.com/html/from_pages/oldarticles.asp?ArticleID=132

)

This would neccessiate a form of callbacks to be
made avaliable within the Altrmi realm.
Maybe by keeping a Message-Loop Thread at the
client-end Open for receipt of REQUEST messages back
from the server.
Essentially implying REQUEST messages can flow
from the server to the client too :-)

This can again form one those so called (non-junit)
*test* cases which actually does more than *testing*.

Regards,
V i n a y

Re: [AltRMI] Event Notifier

Posted by vinaysahil chandran <sa...@yahoo.com>.

> There was also that (LGPL) project at sourceforge
> that could multiplex
> any traffic over one connection.
I guess BEEP protocol also address  multiplexing
over single TCP socket connection.
http://www.beepcore.org
Again there is a LGPL java beep library at sourceforge
.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/beepcore-java/

????

V i n a y

Re: [AltRMI] Event Notifier

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Vinay,

>Anyways on another page , I feel it would be good
>exercise to have the Event Notifier pattern working
>over AltRMI transport,
>something along the lines of the same pattern
>over RMI .(ref
>http://www.javareport.com/html/from_pages/oldarticles.asp?ArticleID=132
>
>)
>
>This would neccessiate a form of callbacks to be
>made avaliable within the Altrmi realm.
>Maybe by keeping a Message-Loop Thread at the
>client-end Open for receipt of REQUEST messages back
>from the server.
>Essentially implying REQUEST messages can flow
>from the server to the client too :-)

Yup this would be cool.  The problem as I see is that we would have to
have a second connection open.  I am sure smarter people could get
duplex working over one connection usine notify/wait etc, but I can't
see the solution without two connections (one for the server to listen
on and one for the client to listen on).

Does anyone have any experience on duplex over one socket connection?

There was also that (LGPL) project at sourceforge that could multiplex
any traffic over one connection.  It was very good in that it could
shove data before it was even picked up at the other end.  Not so
relevent to us as we have multiple transports types...

>This can again form one those so called (non-junit)
>*test* cases which actually does more than *testing*.

He he.

- Paul