Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Stephen Warburton <st...@matrixarts.net> on 2002/11/21 22:15:52 UTC

[users@httpd] executable files not executing

Hi, this is my first post to this honorable list.

I've been looking through the manual but can't seem to find the right info.
Could someone maybe point me to the right page for setting up cgi to
execute .exe files

My problem anyway is:
I've got a freshly installed Apache 1.3(just for testing, W2k) it is
running perl scripts, SSI and PHP ok but it won't run a helloworld.exe into
a browser even though the hello.exe runs when you double click it. The c++
code it comes from is:
<code>
#include <iostream.h> //FOR cin AND cout
void main ()
{
cout << "Content-type: text/html\n\n";
cout << "Hello world from Stephen";
}//end main
</code>

Any tips on what it might be. I get "Internal Server Error"
in the browser and "Couldn't spawn child process" in the error log.

Cheers
Stephen

Re: [users@httpd] executable files not executing

Posted by Andy Cutright <ac...@borland.com>.
is it statically linked? it might be that apache can't find the
libraries necessary to load the executable.  if you've compiled the
helloworld.exe, i'm assuming you have ms tools installed. dumpbin
/imports helloworld.exe will tell you what symbols are imported from
what libraries.

cheers,
andy

Posted by Stephen Warburton <st...@matrixarts.net>.
Thanks Jacob and Andy,

I am beginning to suspect the permissions. This installation of W2k is a
bit wonky. Trying to set the sharing or accessing the permissions for a
folder via a rightclick gets zero response and starting Search -> Find ->
files locks up Explorer.exe. I think I'll wait for a solution to that
problem. I currently can't access the current share for any folders at all.

If though, Perl and shtml scripts were running from cgi-bin would that
indicate the folder IS sharing?

Cheers Stephen

Posted by Jacob Coby <jc...@listingbook.com>.