Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Connie Jones <co...@gordmans.com> on 2002/07/12 23:30:00 UTC

Upgrading from 2.0.36

I currently have version 2.0.36 installed but want to upgrade to 2.0.39.  My
intent was just to install 2.0.39, as if for first time.  My question is if
it is OK to just install this over the earlier version, should I UNstall the
earlier version first, or is it best handled in some other manner.
 Everything I can find about installing Apache approaches it as if you have
never had it before.  I can't find anything for the situation of upgrading to
 a newer version than what you already have.  Any help would be appreciated.
 Thank you.

Re: Upgrading from 2.0.36

Posted by Glen Lee Edwards <gl...@fcwm.org>.
On Sunday 14 July 2002 09:41 pm, Glen Lee Edwards wrote:
> On Friday 12 July 2002 04:30 pm, Connie Jones wrote:
> > I currently have version 2.0.36 installed but want to upgrade to
> > 2.0.39.  My intent was just to install 2.0.39, as if for first
> > time. My question is if it is OK to just install this over the
> > earlier version, should I UNstall the earlier version first, or is
> > it best handled in some other manner. Everything I can find about
> > installing Apache approaches it as if you have never had it before.
> >  I can't find anything for the situation of upgrading to a newer
> > version than what you already have.  Any help would be appreciated.
> > Thank you.
>
> What I've done on upgrades is use the version number in the install
> file:
>
> ./configure -prefix=/usr/local/apache-2.0.39
>
> This installs it in it's own file, leaving previous installs
> untouched. Doing it this way you can run either version.

Sorry, I have the flue,

I mean, if you use

./configure -prefix=/usr/local/apache-2.0.39

Then 2.0.39 is installed in its own directory, leaving previous installs
untouched.  You can run either as you wish.  You can even run different
releases concurrently if you configure them for different IP addresses.

Regards,

Glen

Re: Upgrading from 2.0.36

Posted by Glen Lee Edwards <gl...@fcwm.org>.

Re: Upgrading from 2.0.36

Posted by Sander Holthaus - Orange XL <in...@orangexl.com>.
I did the same, when upgrading from 2.0.35 to 2.0.36 and 2.0.39 Just be sure that you compile it the same way (same flags such as with_experimaental if you previously used them) if you are planning to use the same config-files. Also, check the bug database and chancelog files, Apache 2.0.39 still contains some (very serious) bugs. I'm currently waiting for 2.0.40 ...
  Since no one else has responded, I'll toss in my two cents.  I don't think there will be any problem installing on top of your existing v2.0.36.  I'm currently planning to upgrade from v2.0.28 to .39.  My plan is to install (i.e., compile the httpd in another directory, and move the executable to the production directory.  This should minimize the down time, and provide an easy recovery in the event that I encounter problems; however, I am going to backup my configuration files, etc., regardless of the process, and I would recommend that you do the same.

  Good luck,
  Ron W.

Re: Upgrading from 2.0.36

Posted by Ron Wingfield <rt...@archaxis.net>.