Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "James H. Cloos Jr." <cl...@jhcloos.com> on 1996/04/01 11:55:31 UTC

Log files and TZ

Setting TZ with a SetEnv in httpd.conf has no effect on the TZ used in
the log files.  Setting TZ before running apache, OTOH, does.

Does anyone know of any other environmentals that would show this
interaction?

(I haven't checked yet whether putting mod_env.o before, eg,
mod_log_common.o in Configuration would change this behavior.)

(The rotatelogs utility in support, with a 1 day period, works much
better, IMO, when the logs are in UTC.  At least for doing daily
reports...... :)

-JimC
--
James H. Cloos, Jr.	<URL:http://www.jhcloos.com/~cloos/>
cloos@jhcloos.com	Work: cloos@io.com

Re: Log files and TZ

Posted by "James H. Cloos Jr." <cl...@jhcloos.com>.
JimC> (The rotatelogs utility in support, with a 1 day period, works
JimC> much better, IMO, when the logs are in UTC.  At least for doing
JimC> daily reports...... :)

Ben> Why? Should I put an offset into rotatelogs as well?

That way when you run each day's logfile thru a report generator, your
report claims to be for a [0000,0000) day rather than for, eg,
[0600,0000) of one day and [0000,0600) of the next.  (Assuming I don't
have the offset backwards.  It's timefor bed....)

-JimC