Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> on 2004/12/20 13:43:45 UTC

app skeleton based on YourCocoonBasedProjectAnt16? (was: Splitting cocoon.xconf)

Le 20 déc. 04, à 12:23, Sylvain Wallez a écrit :
> ...The problem is that you have to know beforehand what blocks we want
> to use, compile them and -- here comes the real problem -- generate a
> cocoon.xconf. If you ever want to add or remove a block later on, you
> have to strip down the project's cocoon.xconf or merge it with the one
> that resulted from a new build with more blocks...

Taking a slightly different perspective here, I think both things can
be parallel: for several (rather small) recent projects I've been using
an application skeleton based on
http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/YourCocoonBasedProjectAnt16, and I've
found it relatively easy to add and remove blocks as needed, by editing
one file, and also easy to add my own components by putting xconf files
in the appropriate directory (I've also started to use hivemind as the
application component manager to be decoupled from the Cocoon internals
at the app level but that's another story).

I was thinking that we could add an "application seed" to SVN (in a new
"contrib" directory maybe), a skeleton that allows people to build
their own apps based on Cocoon, with minimal interference with Cocoon's
build and blocks system. In this structure, the relevant parts of
Cocoon are "pulled into" the application as needed, based on a simple
configuration file which is itself built from Cocoon's configs.

IMHO this is very good for small to medium projects, and it requires
little knowledge about Cocoon internals to be productive.

I'd be happy to commit a stripped-down app skeleton if people think
this is useful.

WDYT?

Re: app skeleton based on YourCocoonBasedProjectAnt16?

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> Le 20 déc. 04, à 14:39, Sylvain Wallez a écrit :
>
>> ...Sorry, but I still find this too much complicated. 12 steps,
>> involving ant, command-line, xpatch are way too much complex compared
>> to my proposal which simply consists in moving files around and
>> modifying <import> elements in a centralized file...
>

> Ok, let's see your proposal in the flesh.
> We're probably seing the problem from different perspectives here.

Sure, we have the same problem: assembling a Cocoon suited to our
project's need in the most simple way.

>> ...We must come back to a binary distro which can be stripped down
>> easily and started without having to open a console window. That will
>> make Cocoon less scary...
>

> Hmm...I still think people need to be comfortable with a command-line
> to be efficient with Cocoon. you'd lose too much by sticking to point
> and click. But having such a distro wouldn't hurt for training or
> initial contact with Cocoon.

Well, here is what I need to type on the command line as a user (not
talking of developing Cocoon):
- build.sh webapp
- cocoon.sh servlet

Provide a binary distro and have cocoon.sh/bat start as servlet by
default and you can develop your entire project without ever using a
commandline prompt.

Sylvain

Re: app skeleton based on YourCocoonBasedProjectAnt16?

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Le 20 déc. 04, à 14:39, Sylvain Wallez a écrit :

> ...Sorry, but I still find this too much complicated. 12 steps,
> involving ant, command-line, xpatch are way too much complex compared
> to my proposal which simply consists in moving files around and
> modifying <import> elements in a centralized file...

Ok, let's see your proposal in the flesh.
We're probably seing the problem from different perspectives here.

> ...We must come back to a binary distro which can be stripped down
> easily and started without having to open a console window. That will
> make Cocoon less scary...

Hmm...I still think people need to be comfortable with a command-line
to be efficient with Cocoon. you'd lose too much by sticking to point
and click. But having such a distro wouldn't hurt for training or
initial contact with Cocoon.

-Bertrand

Re: app skeleton based on YourCocoonBasedProjectAnt16?

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> During trainings, many people are trying to start Cocoon by
> double-clicking on cocoon.bat and tell me "it fails to start" simply
> because this file expects an argument. Windows users are really not used
> to using the commandline.

lenya solved this by making servlet the default target.

Re: app skeleton based on YourCocoonBasedProjectAnt16?

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.