Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Michal Suchanek <su...@kovagroup.ca> on 2010/06/30 03:21:42 UTC

any way to clear a huge update_seq?

I am running couchdb 0.11 on mac os x in a development environment. I have
about 50,000 documents which I have migrated from a mysql db. In the course
of migration, I have deleted and reimported this data about 15 times and now
the update_seq on the database is around 900,000. Now, when I add new views
(or modify current ones), the build takes forever as it checkpoints against
all of the previous (now-deleted) revisions of each document. I get nearly
1M lines of "checkpointing view update at seq 132299 for"... (where the seq
goes to nearly 900k).

I am not replicating this db at this time and have no need for old revision
stubs etc. I just want to be able to build views against existing documents
and discard the old revision data (and metadata)!

I have tried db compaction, view cleanup, and view compaction several times.
Nothing seems to make a difference and new views seem to checkpoint at every
or every second update_seq. This takes quite a while.

What am I missing?

Re: any way to clear a huge update_seq?

Posted by Sebastian Cohnen <se...@googlemail.com>.
Hey Michal,

you don't want to reset the update_seq. You want to get rid of old documents. The only way to achieve this, is to set _revs_limit and run compaction.

http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/HTTP_database_API#Accessing_Database-specific_options

best
Sebastian