Posted to users@servicemix.apache.org by shahed100 <sh...@gmail.com> on 2012/08/03 12:37:28 UTC

Want to use spring... but should I be looking at Virgo instead ?

I have done about a days worth of reasearch on this, but am not quite clear
on this yet :-

My Objective :-

1. Develop web apps / wabs etc that use Spring (with annotations etc)

      (The doubt is if applicationContext.xml etc will work in Karaf)

2. Develop osgi services (general purpose.. but can be used by web apps )

3. Use standards compliant blueprint to inject external osgi services to my
Spring web app.

Now I see a lot of talk that leads me to belive that 1 can be done, and 2
can be done.. but not 3.

Compared to this, Virgo seems to be the best (???) solution if I want to use
a lot of Spring.

I like Servicemix and the fact that it has good console integration with
ActiveMq etc and dont really want to moveto Virgo.

Can anyone pls advice ?

BTW.. i dont plan to extensively use Servicemix for JBI type stuff... just
as
a general OSGI platform  (so just Karaf would also work I guess), but with
the added advantage of having all these other bundles pre-shipped (like
ActiveMq, Camel , Web/jetty etc etc)

Thanks

Re: Want to use spring... but should I be looking at Virgo instead ?

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Shahed,

As long as you don't use Spring DM 2.0 you don't need to turn off Blueprint.
So I recommend that you use blueprint for all bundles besides the WAB and only
Spring in combination with Spring-DM 1.2 for your WAB.
In Karaf, you just need to install the needed Spring-Features like
Spring-Web and also
Spring-DM (Version 1.2.1). Using this you should be set :)

Oh and you probably need something like this:

<context-param>
  <param-name>contextClass</param-name>
                                         (1)
  <param-value>org.springframework.osgi.web.context.support.OsgiBundleXmlWebApplicationContext</param-value>
   (2)
</context-param>

<listener>
  <listener-class>org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoaderListener</listener-class>
                       (3)
</listener>

Regards, Achim

Posted by shahed100 <sh...@gmail.com>.