Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Adam Hardy <ad...@cyberspaceroad.com> on 2008/05/13 15:17:00 UTC

JDK logging in surefire

I'd like surefire to give me the screen output which I normally see when running
my tests in Eclipse.

I see surefire has piped one line of logging from this particular test into the
XML report output, and that looks suspiciously like Log4j output.

I configure my JDK logging via the default logging.properties in my
$JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/ directory - which is the one that affects the Eclipse output.

i.e. it should work with no configuration (reading the default properties file
in the JDK):

Quote: " By default, the LogManager reads its initial configuration from a
properties file "lib/logging.properties" in the JRE directory. If you edit that
property file you can change the default logging configuration for all uses of
that JRE."

As far as I can tell, Java is ignoring it when running mvn. Can that be?

Re: JDK logging in surefire

Posted by Adam Hardy <ad...@cyberspaceroad.com>.
Hi Randall,

as far as I can tell, I want surefire to act as it does by default.

In other words, it seems to me that surefire should pipe the logging output to
file so that the reporting plugin picks it up and makes it available with the
test results on the website so that the cause of failure is immediately
identifiable when checking the continuous integration results.

There is logging output in the surefire-reports/TEST-com.package.MyTest.xml but
it appears to be under control of log4j.

Adam