Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net> on 2006/01/27 07:43:00 UTC

[VOTE] 0.9.8 releases

Tarballs for 0.9.8 are now available for testing in
http://apr.apache.org/dev/dist/

 +1  -1  for release:
 [ ] [ ] apr-0.9.8
 [ ] [ ] apr-util-0.9.8

Vote early, vote often.

-garrett

Re: [VOTE] 0.9.8 releases

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On 1/26/06, Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net> wrote:
> Tarballs for 0.9.8 are now available for testing in
> http://apr.apache.org/dev/dist/
>
>  +1  -1  for release:
>  [x] [ ] apr-0.9.8
>  [x] [ ] apr-util-0.9.8
>
> Vote early, vote often.

FWIW, +1 from me, tested on Ubuntu and FreeBSD 6.0.

-garrett

Re: [VOTE] 0.9.8 releases

Posted by M Joonas Pihlaja <jp...@cc.helsinki.fi>.
Hi,

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006, Garrett Rooney wrote:

> If you could check and see if those tests failed in 0.9.7 that would
> be interesting...

In regards to Solaris 9 and 0.9.8/0.9.7:

The exact same errors appear when testing 0.9.7 on Solaris 9.
There are only two real failures, I believe.  The first one is in
testdir.c:test_rmkdir_nocwd(), which tries to rmdir(2) a
directory that it just changed to.  Solaris doesn't like that and
returns EINVAL.  The test case is then aborted, leaving the the
remaining test cases are likely confused.  I didn't check them,
as removing the failing test case and rerunning makes most of the
other failures go away.

The second failure is in testsockets.c:sendto_receivefrom().
For some reason bind() is returning EADDRNOTAVAIL when
sendto_receivefrom() calls apr_socket_bind(sock, to).  This is a
datagram socket that is supposed to bind to "::1" port 7772.
Below is the struct sockaddr's sin6 field before the address is
passed to bind():

        sin6 = {
            sin6_family   = 26U
            sin6_port     = 7772U
            sin6_flowinfo = 0
            sin6_addr     = {
                _S6_un = {
                    _S6_u8     = ""
                    _S6_u32    = (0, 0, 0, 1)
                    __S6_align = 0
                }
            }
            sin6_scope_id = 0
            __sin6_src_id = 0
        }

I don't really understand why it's not binding.  I notice there
are no other UDP sockets using IPv6 on this machine; only TCP
sockets.  That's a bit odd, as there's a big bunch of bound IPv4
UDP sockets and usually on other OS's both v6 and v4 sockets get
bound at the same time.  (But I'm a Solaris newbie, so this might
just be one of those things, I guess.)

Regards,

Joonas

Re: [VOTE] 0.9.8 releases

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.

Re: [VOTE] 0.9.8 releases

Posted by M Joonas Pihlaja <jp...@cc.helsinki.fi>.
On Sun, 29 Jan 2006, Garrett Rooney wrote:

> On 1/29/06, M Joonas Pihlaja <jp...@cc.helsinki.fi> wrote:
> >
> > Erh.. sorry to spam the list with partially bad info in my last
> > mail.  Regarding Debian Unstable Pure64/x86_64, I in fact tested
> > 1.2.3 and not 0.9.8.  There were no failures for 1.2.3.
> >
> > Running testall from 0.9.8, hangs at "Thread locks" with no
> > periods displayed.  After removing "testlocks" from testall.c,
> > all other tests passed.
>
> Again, I'd be curious if this is a regression or if it used to hang in
> 0.9.7 as well.

It's hanging in 0.9.7 as well.  The problem is sensitive to which
tests are run before the "testlock" test case.  Here's the
smallest sequence of tests that I could find that need to be run
before "testlock" will hang 0.9.8:

teststr
testhash
testfile
testfileinfo
testdso
testoc
testsockets
testsockopt
testproc
testprocmutex
testpoll

I kid you not... remove any one of these, and "testlock"
completes successfully, and hangs if they're *all* run first. The
actual hanging happens in test_thread_rwlock():  The main thread
is blocked on joining with thread t1, and all the t1..t4 threads
are blocked waiting for a write lock on the rwlock.  Hm.. I've
just tested with just one thread doing the locking and the same
happens then.

Up the up side, at least the problem doesn't appear to be
intermittent. :)

Joonas

Re: [VOTE] 0.9.8 releases

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.

Re: [VOTE] 0.9.8 releases

Posted by M Joonas Pihlaja <jp...@cc.helsinki.fi>.
Erh.. sorry to spam the list with partially bad info in my last
mail.  Regarding Debian Unstable Pure64/x86_64, I in fact tested
1.2.3 and not 0.9.8.  There were no failures for 1.2.3.

Running testall from 0.9.8, hangs at "Thread locks" with no
periods displayed.  After removing "testlocks" from testall.c,
all other tests passed.

uname -a for the machine in question says:

Linux helene 2.6.8-11-amd64-k8-smp #1 SMP Sun Oct 2 23:21:12 CEST 2005 x86_64 GNU/Linux

and gcc -v:

Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/x86_64-linux/3.3.5/specs
Configured with: ../src/configure -v
--enable-languages=c,c++,java,f77,pascal,objc,ada,treelang
--prefix=/usr --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info
--with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/3.3 --enable-shared
--enable-__cxa_atexit --with-system-zlib --enable-nls
--without-included-gettext --enable-clocale=gnu --enable-debug
--enable-java-gc=boehm --enable-java-awt=xlib --enable-objc-gc
--disable-multilib x86_64-linux
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.3.5 (Debian 1:3.3.5-13)

Regards,

Joonas

Re: [VOTE] 0.9.8 releases

Posted by M Joonas Pihlaja <jp...@cc.helsinki.fi>.

Re: [VOTE] 0.9.8 releases

Posted by Colm MacCarthaigh <co...@stdlib.net>.
On Thu, Jan 26, 2006 at 10:43:00PM -0800, Garrett Rooney wrote:
> Tarballs for 0.9.8 are now available for testing in
> http://apr.apache.org/dev/dist/
>
>  +1  -1  for release:
>  [X] [ ] apr-0.9.8
>  [X] [ ] apr-util-0.9.8
>
> Vote early, vote often.

Tested on ubuntu.

Re: [VOTE] 0.9.8 releases

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
On Jan 27, 2006, at 1:43 AM, Garrett Rooney wrote:

> Tarballs for 0.9.8 are now available for testing in
> http://apr.apache.org/dev/dist/
>
>  +1  -1  for release:
>  [ ] [ ] apr-0.9.8
>  [ ] [ ] apr-util-0.9.8
>
> Vote early, vote often.

+1: Suse 10.0, Sol8, OS X 10.4.4

Re: [VOTE] 0.9.8 releases

Posted by Brad Nicholes <BN...@novell.com>.
<7e...@mail.gmail.com>, Garrett
Rooney
<ro...@electricjellyfish.net> wrote:
> Tarballs for 0.9.8 are now available for testing in
> http://apr.apache.org/dev/dist/
>
>  +1  -1  for release:
>  [X ] [ ] apr-0.9.8
>  [X ] [ ] apr-util-0.9.8
>
> Vote early, vote often.
>
> -garret

NetWare

Brad

Re: [VOTE] 0.9.8 releases

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On 1/26/06, Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net> wrote:
> Tarballs for 0.9.8 are now available for testing in
> http://apr.apache.org/dev/dist/
>
>  +1  -1  for release:
>  [ ] [ ] apr-0.9.8
>  [ ] [ ] apr-util-0.9.8
>
> Vote early, vote often.

The situation here seems about the same as the 1.2.3 vote.  We've got
4 +1 votes, over a fair variety of platforms, but if we could get
someone to test on a few more (win32 and solaris 10 jump out at me as
being systems we usually test on that have not been covered) it would
be nice.

I'd like to get this kicked out the door soon, so Colm can have the
opportunity to bundle it with the httpd 2.0.x release he's putting
together, so any further testing that can be done today would be much
appreciated.

-garrett