Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Mark Derricutt <ma...@talios.com> on 2015/04/10 02:38:56 UTC

maven-checkstyle-plugin - ailed during checkstyle configuration: cannot initialize module TreeWalker - Property 'excludes' ... does not exist

Hey all,

I was just adding a bunch of rules to my checkstyle configuration and they all seem to trigger the error:

Failed during checkstyle configuration: cannot initialize module TreeWalker - Property 'excludes' in module GenericWhitespace does not exist, please check the documentation -> [Help 1]

This is with 2.15 and 2.14 of the check style plugin, is the plugin generating bad config for the version of check style used?

Out of the rules I added, these ones give the above error:

     <module name="GenericWhitespace" />
     <module name="NoWhitespaceAfter" />
     <module name="MissingDeprecated"/>
     <module name="MissingOverride"/>
     <module name="PackageAnnotation"/>
     <module name="AnnotationLocation"/>
     <module name="EmptyBlock"/>
     <module name="EmptyCatchBlock">
       <property name="exceptionVariableName" value="expected|ignore"/>
     </module>
     <module name="LeftCurly"/>
     <module name="NeedBraces"/>
     <module name="RightCurly"/>
     <module name="AvoidNestedBlocks"/>

I suspect either I've done something wrong, or there's a generic bug in the check style plugin?

--
Mark Derricutt
http://www.theoryinpractice.net

Re: maven-checkstyle-plugin - ailed during checkstyle configuration: cannot initialize module TreeWalker - Property 'excludes' ... does not exist

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
I don't remember which version of Checkstyle is used in which maven-
checkstyle-plugin by default (you can change it)

and if current Checkstyle documentation explains about this property [1],
there is no @since to know when it was introduced

What we can do at maven level is probably add a version table to document
version history, since this is a recurrent need
I created MCHECKSTYLE-290 [2] to track the issue

HELP WANTED!!!
It would be great if someone could do the history walk-through to prepare a
documentation patch: I promise I'll merge it :)

Regards,

Hervé

[1] http://checkstyle.sourceforge.net/config_blocks.html#EmptyCatchBlock

[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MCHECKSTYLE-290