Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org> on 2005/01/22 19:24:49 UTC

Planning 2.1.7

Hello,

what do you think of a 2.1.7 release in the near future - middle of
February for example?

Are there any outstanding issues (apart from the usual suspects of course)?

Carsten

Re: Planning 2.1.7

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Hello,
>
> what do you think of a 2.1.7 release in the near future - middle of
> February for example?
>
> Are there any outstanding issues (apart from the usual suspects of
> course)?
>
> Carsten

2.1.7-dev, except for occaisional build clitches seems to be doing OK
for me.  I'm +1 on a 2.1.7 release.

I'm wondering what it will take for cron and forms to make it to stable
status.  Can that be accomplished for 2.1.7?  Especially with forms - we
can't just keep screwing around with it forever.

Ralph

Re: Planning 2.1.7

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> what do you think of a 2.1.7 release in the near future - middle of
>> February for example?
>

> sounds good. maybe it would make sense for cocoon to have a relase plan
> similar to http://wiki.apache.org/lenya/ReleasePlan ?
>
> it would help lenya (and other cocoon-dependent) projects if there was a
> timeframe for new cocoon releases. we always try to release lenya
> versions with the latest cocoon version, but sometimes the timing does
> not work out.

Oh, we have a roadmap:

http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/plan/roadmap.html

:) I'm not sure if setting a date upfront would help us getting a better
release. We take the time we need to provide the quality for a release.

Carsten

Re: Planning 2.1.7

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.

--
Gregor J. Rothfuss
COO, Wyona       Content Management Solutions    http://wyona.com

Re: Planning 2.1.7

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.
On 24.01.2005 07:47, Reinhard Poetz wrote:

> Anyway, as we agreed that 2.2 should come soon, I don't think it's worth
> doing the refactoring.

+1

Joerg

Re: Planning 2.1.7

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Reinhard Poetz wrote:

> Anyway, as we agreed that 2.2 should come soon, I don't think it's worth
> doing the refactoring.
Agreed.

 > And if somebody really want's to use the new
> rhino version too, he can simply exchange the libraries manually. The
> only drawback is that this is an "all or nothing" decision and some
> warnings might pop up in the console.

Sounds good to me.

Carsten

Re: Planning 2.1.7

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.
Reinhard Poetz wrote:
> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> what do you think of a 2.1.7 release in the near future - middle of
>> February for example?
>>
>> Are there any outstanding issues (apart from the usual suspects of
>> course)?
>

> Just for the records: Rhino hasn't been updated in 2.1.X yet. As it
> introduces some backwards incompatibilites we should support both
> interpreters (the old and the new one) at the same time.

We do - old one in 2.1 and new one in 2.2
<snip/>

> Anyway, as we agreed that 2.2 should come soon, I don't think it's worth
> doing the refactoring. And if somebody really want's to use the new
> rhino version too, he can simply exchange the libraries manually.

+1

Vadim

Re: Planning 2.1.7

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Le 24 janv. 05, à 07:47, Reinhard Poetz a écrit :

> ...Anyway, as we agreed that 2.2 should come soon, I don't think it's
> worth doing the refactoring. And if somebody really want's to use the
> new rhino version too, he can simply exchange the libraries manually.
> The only drawback is that this is an "all or nothing" decision and
> some warnings might pop up in the console.
>
> WDOT?

+1 for leaving rhino as is in 2.1.x, this will be another incentive to
release 2.2!

-Bertrand

Re: Planning 2.1.7

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Hello,
>
> what do you think of a 2.1.7 release in the near future - middle of
> February for example?
>
> Are there any outstanding issues (apart from the usual suspects of course)?

Just for the records: Rhino hasn't been updated in 2.1.X yet. As it introduces
some backwards incompatibilites we should support both interpreters (the old and
the new one) at the same time.

This requires renaming of all packages in our forked rhino version and duplicate
  the interpreter and FOM code.
Additionally we have to look into the FOM implementation because some methods
don't wrap objects properly so that you get warnings when you use the new
version e.g. when context.getAttribute([name]) is called. See
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=110071260308472&w=2 for more
details. Of course, this has to be done in trunk too.

Anyway, as we agreed that 2.2 should come soon, I don't think it's worth doing
the refactoring. And if somebody really want's to use the new rhino version too,