Posted to dev@accumulo.apache.org by Michael Wall <mj...@apache.org> on 2019/10/08 01:45:47 UTC

[DRAFT] [REPORT] Apache Accumulo - Oct 2019

The Apache Accumulo PMC decided to draft its quarterly board
reports on the dev list. Here is a draft of our report which is due
tomorrow, Wednesday, Oct 9, 1 week before the board meeting on
Wednesday, Jul 16. Please let me know if you have any feedback.

Note, the reporter wizard has been updated.  Much less focus on raw
number, more emphasis on meaning.  I am not sure who has access to
these, so pasting the rolled up metrics here

dev@accumulo.apache.org had a 34% decrease in traffic in the past quarter
(90 emails compared to 136)
user@accumulo.apache.org had a 195% increase in traffic in the past quarter
(59 emails compared to 20)
2 issues opened in JIRA, past quarter (100% increase)
1 issue closed in JIRA, past quarter (-99% decrease)
169 commits in the past quarter (-18% decrease)
17 code contributors in the past quarter (-15% decrease)
88 PRs opened on GitHub, past quarter (-42% decrease)
87 PRs closed on GitHub, past quarter (-40% decrease)
65 issues opened on GitHub, past quarter (-35% decrease)
51 issues closed on GitHub, past quarter (-31% decrease)

And the link to fuller metrics is at
https://reporter.apache.org/wizard/statistics?accumulo.  Looks like
committers can login to see that.

Mike

----

The Apache Accumulo sorted, distributed key/value store is a robust,
scalable, high performance data storage system that features
cell-based access control and customizable server-side processing.  It
is based on Google's BigTable design and is built on top of Apache
Hadoop, Zookeeper, and Thrift.

## Issues:

There was a discussion about a trademark issue at
http://www.accumulodata.com [1]. The owner of the site is a PMC member
and has offered to repoint to https://accumulo.apache.org.

## Membership Data:

Apache Accumulo was founded 2012-03-20 (8 years ago)
There are currently 36 committers and 36 PMC members in this project.
The Committer-to-PMC ratio is 1:1.

Community changes, past quarter:
- Adam Lerman was added to the PMC on 2019-08-06
- Holly Keebler was added to the PMC on 2019-08-08
- Adam Lerman was added as committer on 2019-08-08
- Holly Keebler was added as committer on 2019-08-09

## Project Activity:

- We have finally released Apache Accumulo 2.0.0 on 2019-08-02 [2].
- We also released the Apache Accumulo2 Maven Plugin on 2019-08-07 [3].
- The monthly "Hack Day" continues in Columbia MD.  There was nothing
  of note posted from the meetings in Jul, Sep or Aug.

## Community Health:

Activity in the community remains pretty constant.  The exception is
that the user list felt like it had a little more activity over the
past quarter which is supported by the metrics showing a 195% increase
in emails (59 compared to 20).  Many of those emails were people new
to the community asking questions or getting support.

[1]:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/514d3cf9162e72f4aa13be1db5d6685999fc83755695308a529de4d6@%3Cprivate.accumulo.apache.org%3E
[2]:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/5421727924d60a20e20af356cda0c4f1daf685be9266d1aebc2f34fd@%3Cannounce.apache.org%3E
[3]:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/344b402281d50e62a78d4770727fd4630fe0dad6ac62584ec7236c05@%3Cdev.accumulo.apache.org%3E

Re: [DRAFT] [REPORT] Apache Accumulo - Oct 2019

Posted by Michael Wall <mj...@apache.org>.
Sure, thanks Christopher.

Any other comments?  Yesterday I said I was posting it tomorrow, but I
really meant I was posting it in 2 days from yesterday, which is actually
tomorrow today.  Sorry for the confusion.

Mike

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
LGTM. Thanks, Mike!