Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by John Aldridge <jp...@jjdash.demon.co.uk> on 2004/04/06 00:04:26 UTC

rcs $Log$ equivalent?

Hi, all,

We're having a look at Subversion as a possible replacement for an RCS
based source repository, and I can't see anything corresponding to the
RCS $Log$ keyword -- have I missed it somewhere, or is this something
we'd have to learn to live without?
--
Cheers,
John

Re: rcs $Log$ equivalent?

Posted by John Peacock <jp...@rowman.com>.
John Aldridge wrote:
> I think just telling people to use "svn log" instead will suffice. There
> may be initial whinging... ;-)

I'm adding a target to my Makefile's to do this:

	svn log -v | gnuify-changelog.pl > Changes

so that the Changes file in the distribution (this is for CPAN) is always an
accurate representation of the activity for that release.  Obviously this would
be a bad thing for large projects, but it's fine for the little modules I am
releasing.

John

--
John Peacock
Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group

Re: rcs $Log$ equivalent?

Posted by John Aldridge <jp...@jjdash.demon.co.uk>.
In message <40...@rowman.com>, John Peacock
<jp...@rowman.com> writes
>John Aldridge wrote:
>> We're having a look at Subversion as a possible replacement for an
>>RCS  based source repository, and I can't see anything corresponding
>>to the  RCS $Log$ keyword -- have I missed it somewhere, or is this
>>something  we'd have to learn to live without?
>
>Doesn't exist within Subversion

Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

Re: rcs $Log$ equivalent?

Posted by John Peacock <jp...@rowman.com>.
John Aldridge wrote:
> We're having a look at Subversion as a possible replacement for an RCS
> based source repository, and I can't see anything corresponding to the
> RCS $Log$ keyword -- have I missed it somewhere, or is this something
> we'd have to learn to live without?

Doesn't exist within Subversion, AFAIK mostly due to the long history of
problems that CVS has had with it over the years.  There are ways to get