Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Weldon Washburn <we...@gmail.com> on 2006/05/24 16:01:19 UTC

[legal] MMTK & Apache licenses -- are they compatible?

This is a question for Apache legal.  Will the existing licenses allow
Harmony incubator volunteers to port MMTK to one of the incubator's
JVMs?  Can the modifications to the JVM be checked-in Harmony svn
repository?

There is no desire to put MMTK source in the Harmony repository.  MMTK
stays at its current home.  Only mods that support the MMTK interface
would be put in Apache svn repository.

    Thanks
          Weldon

--
Weldon Washburn
Intel Middleware Products Division

Re: [legal] MMTK & Apache licenses -- are they compatible?

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Weldon Washburn wrote:
> This is a question for Apache legal.  Will the existing licenses allow
> Harmony incubator volunteers to port MMTK to one of the incubator's
> JVMs?

Yes.  It's really up to MMTK to accept any patches necessary.

 >Can the modifications to the JVM be checked-in Harmony svn
> repository?

Modifications to our JVM?  Of course.  IRRC, MMTK is CPL, which we
should be able to distribute in binary form.

> There is no desire to put MMTK source in the Harmony repository.

Good - that won't happen w/o IBM and the rest of the copyright holders
relicensing it.

> MMTK
> stays at its current home.  Only mods that support the MMTK interface
> would be put in Apache svn repository.

If they are patches to MMTK, they will probably still be under CPL, so
they can't go here.

If the are mods to our JVMs, of course they can go here.

geir