Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by qa...@cox.net on 2003/06/06 03:55:53 UTC

Tomcat stability under hpux 11.00 64 bit.

From:   <qa...@cox.net>
Date:   2003/06/05 Thu PM 05:49:17 EDT
To:   tomcat_user_help@jakarta.apache.org
Subject:   Instability under HP-UX 11.00 64bit

Hello all.

I'm having some stability issues while running tomcat 4.4.18 under hpux 64
bit.  The tomcat server starts up just fine and serves out for a few hours then
hangs.  When it hangs, there are no messages written to the log files and the
timouts on the pages cease to work either.  From the unix side, the process
looks just fine.  As is the norm under hpux we have to do a kill -9 and then
restart the app.  By adjsuting the memory to the jvm using the setenv.sh script
I have made the adjustments below:

CATALINA_OPTS="-XdoCloseWithReadPending -Xms256m -Xmn100m -Xmx256m -Xverbosegc:
file=/opt/hpws/tomcat/logs/gc.out"

Can anybody help me figure out what the next place to look is?  We're using
tomcat both as a standalone and with apache 2.0.43 and both are from the HP Web
Services depot installs.  The same behaviour seems to happen with fresh
downloads of tomcat from the jakarta project as well though.

Thanks
Allen

Re: Tomcat stability under hpux 11.00 64 bit.

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
As with any OS ...
- Make sure your have the right patches for the OS.
- Try both 1.3, and 1.4 JVM's. In the past, it took forever to HP to deliver
and stable 1.2, 1.3 JVM. (forever is relative to our project consistently
barfing in the lab)
- Stack trace. When things hang, get stack traces. Get stack traces from
different freezes. Compare and look for "fishy" threads. Also compare the
Stacktraces to normal stacktraces.
- Does using only interpreted mode do anything? ( -Xint )
- Did you check the JVM release notes from HP?

- Tim