Posted to p-dev@xerces.apache.org by "Jason E. Stewart" <ja...@openinformatics.com> on 2004/02/10 06:12:53 UTC

Re: XML-Xerces-2.3.0 under Cygwin Installation problem

jason@openinformatics.com (Jason E. Stewart) writes:

> I do not know whether or not is correct to write directly to you instead
> of a public list if so please just redirect me to the relevant one.

the xerces-p-dev list (see the To: line) is the best place to ask - I
am often busy, and there are others that can be of more assistance.

> my problem is that I have been trying to install it by using CPAN
> with no luck till now. I got I weird error .

Originally, I didn't want to put it on CPAN because of the very
specific version issues, but I was convinced to do it. You really
can't use CPAN.pm to install it...

>    WARNING
>
> You have defined the XERCESCROOT variable, but I am unable to locate
> the config.status file that was used to build your Xerces-C. Without
> that file, I may not be able to properly build the C++ glue files that
> come with Xerces.pm.

Yes, I need the config.status file to figure out the C++ compiler
directives.

> My variables are set to
> $ export |grep XERCES
> declare -x XERCESCROOT="/xerces-c-src2_4_0/src/xercesc"

This won't work. You must use:

  declare -x XERCESCROOT=/xerces-c-src2_4_0

>       *** Version Mismatch ***
>
> You are attempt to build XML::Xerces-2.3.0 using Xerces-C-2.4.0,
> this will most likely fail, so I am aborting.
>
> You must use Xerces-C-2.4.0

[snip]

> Any idea what could be wrong ???

Sorry, I don't know how I can make my Error message more clear. You
have two incompatible versions of software and you are trying to
compile them together - C++ can't handle this. If the explanation in
the README file is not sufficient please help me explain it better.

You must either download Xerces-C-2.3.0 or you must download
XML-Xerces-2.4.0.

Xerces-C-2.4.0 has know problems - and there will be a bugfix release
next week. If you are in a hurry I would grab Xerces-C-2.3.0 from:

  http://archive.apache.org/dist/xml/xerces-c/

Or if you want XML-Xerces-2.4.0, you can get it here:

  http://xml.apache.org/dist/xerces-p/nightly/2003-11-21/

I haven't officially released it for a number of reasons.

Cheers,
jas.