Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro> on 2015/11/29 19:56:41 UTC

What SDN are you using?

Hello,

So besides the folks using Nicira, can anyone recommend any other SDN thing or should I stay with v(x)lans?
I'm kind of removed from this side of things since my deployments tend to be with Security Grups in a single or few VLANs, any suggestions welcome, preferably free/foss.

Lucian

Nux!
www.nux.ro

Re: What SDN are you using?

Posted by Simon Weller <sw...@ena.com>.

Yes, correct.

<snip>

Re: What SDN are you using?

Posted by Simon Weller <sw...@ena.com>.

Re: What SDN are you using?

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
Simon,

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
Simon,

Re: What SDN are you using?

Posted by Simon Weller <sw...@ena.com>.
<snip>

Re: What SDN are you using?

Posted by Simon Weller <sw...@ena.com>.
<snip>

Re: What SDN are you using?

Posted by sebgoa <ru...@gmail.com>.
On Nov 29, 2015, at 8:19 PM, Simon Weller <sw...@ena.com> wrote:

> Nux,
>
> The two most deployed SDN solutions are Vmware NSX-MH (Nicara) and Nuage VSP (Alcatel-Lucent).  Neither are cheap!
> We've been evaluating whether we're going to run a POC on Nuage, as it does have some very cool features including service chaining.
> Most of the other SDN plugins within CS are either very alpha, or haven't received any updates in quite a while.
> I polled the dev list list a few months back and it didn't appear anyone on the lists were running (or willing to talk about) Big Switch, Midonet or Stratosphere.

Midonet and Stratosphere are pretty much abandoned.
So is the open contrail driver.

Big Switch should work as it was updated recently and should be in 4.6 (let me cc KC Wange who did the refactor recently).

The opendaylight and native GRE have always been beta, and you are correct that they have not received much attention.

Re: What SDN are you using?

Posted by sebgoa <ru...@gmail.com>.

Re: What SDN are you using?

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
Eric,

I think OVS is implied when we talk VXLAN on KVM.

Simon, thanks for your thoughts. It's what I was afraid of. Guess it's still early days for SDN. :-)

Lucian

Nux!
www.nux.ro

Re: What SDN are you using?

Posted by GoGoZoom PDX <go...@gmail.com>.

Re: What SDN are you using?

Posted by Simon Weller <sw...@ena.com>.
Nux,

The two most deployed SDN solutions are Vmware NSX-MH (Nicara) and Nuage VSP (Alcatel-Lucent).  Neither are cheap!
We've been evaluating whether we're going to run a POC on Nuage, as it does have some very cool features including service chaining.
Most of the other SDN plugins within CS are either very alpha, or haven't received any updates in quite a while.
I polled the dev list list a few months back and it didn't appear anyone on the lists were running (or willing to talk about) Big Switch, Midonet or Stratosphere. I know someone built the start of a plugin for Open Daylight, but it hasn't seen any development since then. We even reached out to Midonet, offering to pay for support and they told us to install Openstack ;-)

Re: What SDN are you using?

Re: What SDN are you using?

Posted by Vadim Kimlaychuk <va...@kickcloud.net>.
We mostly use it as external (to Cloudstack) intelligent switch/router,
but also installed it as guest VM within cloud to provide customized SDN
functionality.

Vadim.

On 2015-11-30 13:10, Nux! wrote:

> Hello Vadim,
>
> How exactly are you integrating VyOS in Cloudstack? We're also using it
> internally, but not sure how it would help us, especially with regards
> to SDN.
>
> Lucian

> Nux!
> www.nux.ro [1]

Links:
------
[1] http://www.nux.ro
[2] http://vyos.net/wiki/Main_Page

Re: What SDN are you using?

On 2015-11-30 13:10, Nux! wrote:

> Hello Vadim,
>
> How exactly are you integrating VyOS in Cloudstack? We're also using it
> internally, but not sure how it would help us, especially with regards
> to SDN.
>
> Lucian

> Nux!
> www.nux.ro [1]

Links:
------

Re: What SDN are you using?

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
Hello Vadim,

Re: What SDN are you using?

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
Hello Vadim,

Re: What SDN are you using?

Posted by Vadim Kimlaychuk <va...@kickcloud.net>.

On 2015-11-30 12:24, Frank Louwers wrote:

> Hi Vadim,
>
> Are you using VyOS in a Cloudstack environment?
>
> On 30 Nov 2015, at 11:20, Vadim Kimlaychuk <va...@kickcloud.net> wrote:
>
> I don't know if applicable, but I had very good impression from VyOS
> (http://vyos.net/wiki/Main_Page [1]).
>
> Vadim.
>
> On 2015-11-29 20:56, Nux! wrote:
>
> Hello,
> So besides the folks using Nicira, can anyone recommend any other SDN
> thing or should I stay with v(x)lans?
> I'm kind of removed from this side of things since my deployments tend
> to be with Security Grups in a single or few VLANs, any suggestions
> welcome, preferably free/foss.
> Lucian
> Nux!
> www.nux.ro [2] [1 [2]]
>
> Links:
> ------
> [1] http://www.nux.ro [2]

Links:
------

Re: What SDN are you using?

Posted by Vadim Kimlaychuk <va...@kickcloud.net>.

On 2015-11-30 12:24, Frank Louwers wrote:

> Hi Vadim,
>
> Are you using VyOS in a Cloudstack environment?
>
> On 30 Nov 2015, at 11:20, Vadim Kimlaychuk <va...@kickcloud.net> wrote:
>
> I don't know if applicable, but I had very good impression from VyOS
> (http://vyos.net/wiki/Main_Page [1]).
>
> Vadim.
>
> On 2015-11-29 20:56, Nux! wrote:
>
> Hello,
> So besides the folks using Nicira, can anyone recommend any other SDN
> thing or should I stay with v(x)lans?
> I'm kind of removed from this side of things since my deployments tend
> to be with Security Grups in a single or few VLANs, any suggestions
> welcome, preferably free/foss.
> Lucian
> Nux!
> www.nux.ro [2] [1 [2]]
>
> Links:
> ------
> [1] http://www.nux.ro [2]

Links:
------

Re: What SDN are you using?

Posted by Frank Louwers <fr...@openminds.be>.
Hi Vadim,

Re: What SDN are you using?

Posted by Frank Louwers <fr...@openminds.be>.
Hi Vadim,

Re: What SDN are you using?

Posted by Vadim Kimlaychuk <va...@kickcloud.net>.

On 2015-11-29 20:56, Nux! wrote:

> Hello,
>
> So besides the folks using Nicira, can anyone recommend any other SDN
> thing or should I stay with v(x)lans?
> I'm kind of removed from this side of things since my deployments tend
> to be with Security Grups in a single or few VLANs, any suggestions
> welcome, preferably free/foss.
>
> Lucian

> Nux!
> www.nux.ro [1]

Links:
------
[1] http://www.nux.ro

Re: What SDN are you using?

Posted by Vadim Kimlaychuk <va...@kickcloud.net>.

On 2015-11-29 20:56, Nux! wrote:

> Hello,
>
> So besides the folks using Nicira, can anyone recommend any other SDN
> thing or should I stay with v(x)lans?
> I'm kind of removed from this side of things since my deployments tend
> to be with Security Grups in a single or few VLANs, any suggestions
> welcome, preferably free/foss.
>
> Lucian

> Nux!
> www.nux.ro [1]