Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Johnny <oo...@yahoo.com> on 2008/01/29 14:06:47 UTC

Good program, imperfect documentation

http://maven.apache.org/download.html
says at the page bottom
Unix-based Operating Systems (Linux, Solaris and Mac OS X)

   1. Extract the distribution archive to the directory you wish to install
Maven 2.0.8. These instructions assume you chose /usr/local/apache-maven-2.0.8
. The directory apache-maven-2.0.8 will be created from the archive.
   2. Add the bin directory to your path, eg. export
PATH=/usr/local/apache-maven-2.0.8/bin:$PATH
   3. Make sure that JAVA_HOME is set to the location of your JDK, eg. export
JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/jdk1.5.0_02
   4. Run mvn --version to verify that it is correctly installed.
#4.  Did not work.  It took me hours to see why.
#2.  Had to be changed to this 2. Add the bin directory to your path, eg.
export PATH=/usr/local/apache-maven-2.0.8/apache-maven-2.0.8/bin:$PATH
I never cease to be amazed that Linux people will work for months to get
software right then will not spend a few minutes to make sure the documentation
is right.  However I commend you for at least giving 4 lines with some cut and
paste commands.  This is so much better than prose.  At least the person who is
trying to use it for the first can see what was trying to be accomplished and
how instead of guessing at English intrepretations.

Thanks for the program.  I hope the rest of the using it is easier.
Johnny Stovall

Objective Oriented Unification Commitment.  We all have gifts and limitations.  I'm using my gifts to help others overcome limitations.  Will you do the same for me?

RE: Good program, imperfect documentation