Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Lucien Gentis <lu...@medecine.uhp-nancy.fr> on 2011/04/11 16:53:16 UTC

2.4 new features

Hi,

1st Question:

It's said at the beginning of trunk/en/new_features_2_4.html "This document describes some of the major changes between the 2.2 and 2.4 versions of the Apache HTTP Server."

Why only "some" ?

Would it mean that some other major changes will never appear in this document ?

2nd Question, same file:

mod_slotmem_shm
Provides a Slot-based shared memory provider (ala the scoreboard).

This module permits to save/restore memory segments when server restarts ; but could someone explain "ala the scoreboard" ?

Thanks all for your answers

Lucien

Lucien Gentis
SIRET
Faculté de Médecine - Nancy
lucien.gentis@medecine.uhp-nancy.fr
03 83 68 30 62

Re: 2.4 new features

Posted by Lucien Gentis <lu...@medecine.uhp-nancy.fr>.
Le 11 avr. 2011 à 18:45, Rich Bowen a écrit :

> On Apr 11, 2011, at 10:53 AM, Lucien Gentis wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> 1st Question:
>>
>> It's said at the beginning of trunk/en/new_features_2_4.html "This document describes some of the major changes between the 2.2 and 2.4 versions of the Apache HTTP Server."
>>
>> Why only "some" ?
>>
>> Would it mean that some other major changes will never appear in this document ?
>
> I think it reflects the fact that different people have different ideas of what's "major" and so some things make it into the file and others don't.

but it could also make people ask themselves "But what are the OTHERS major changes and why don't they appear in this document ?"

Alternatively, if you say "Here are THE major changes between ...", people know there are other changes that the author defined as "minor", and they will look at the changelog if they are interested.

> I'd personally like to see everything in there that might possibly qualify as an interesting new feature. It helps migration rates, and gives people something to go off of when they're asked "what's new in 2.4" and aren't intimately familiar with all the changes.

I agree 100 %

Re: 2.4 new features

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Apr 11, 2011, at 10:53 AM, Lucien Gentis wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 1st Question:
>
> It's said at the beginning of trunk/en/new_features_2_4.html "This document describes some of the major changes between the 2.2 and 2.4 versions of the Apache HTTP Server."
>
> Why only "some" ?
>
> Would it mean that some other major changes will never appear in this document ?

I think it reflects the fact that different people have different ideas of what's "major" and so some things make it into the file and others don't. I'd personally like to see everything in there that might possibly qualify as an interesting new feature. It helps migration rates, and gives people something to go off of when they're asked "what's new in 2.4" and aren't intimately familiar with all the changes.

Re: 2.4 new features

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 6:55 AM, Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> wrote:

>>> Not really a very useful comment!
>>>
>>> I guess it's historic.  First we had the scoreboard.  Then the scoreboard
>>> expanded by feature creep to places where it was the wrong solution.
>>> The slotmem rationalises the situation, providing for the kind of
>>> application that was squatting in the scoreboard.
>>>
>>> Whether it really makes sense to have both slotmem and socache
>>> modules is another question ...
>>
>> As said Rich, I'll ask to the author of this line
>
> I think Nick's explanation is pretty thorough. Not sure how to best summarize that for the CHANGES file.

slotmem is essentially an API on behalf of other modules.

IMO the existing terse description and a link to new_api_2_4.xml would
be appropriate; new_api_2_4.xml should have details on new features on
behalf of module authors.

Re: 2.4 new features

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Re: 2.4 new features

Posted by Lucien Gentis <lu...@medecine.uhp-nancy.fr>.
Le 11 avr. 2011 à 19:15, Nick Kew a écrit :

> On Mon, 11 Apr 2011 16:53:16 +0200
> Lucien Gentis <lu...@medecine.uhp-nancy.fr> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> 1st Question:
>>
>> It's said at the beginning of trunk/en/new_features_2_4.html "This document describes some of the major changes between the 2.2 and 2.4 versions of the Apache HTTP Server."
>>
>> Why only "some" ?
>>
>> Would it mean that some other major changes will never appear in this document ?
>
> It's conservative language.  It means noone is going to point at something
> that's been overlooked and rubbish our documents for making false claims.
> That's very natural to me.  If you find it strange, I guess that could be
> a cultural difference between our countries.

So it could be interesting to know what other non-english native speaking people think of that, to know if it has to be taken in account.

>> 2nd Question, same file:
>>
>> mod_slotmem_shm
>> Provides a Slot-based shared memory provider (ala the scoreboard).
>>
>> This module permits to save/restore memory segments when server restarts ; but could someone explain "ala the scoreboard" ?
>
> Not really a very useful comment!
>
> I guess it's historic.  First we had the scoreboard.  Then the scoreboard
> expanded by feature creep to places where it was the wrong solution.
> The slotmem rationalises the situation, providing for the kind of
> application that was squatting in the scoreboard.
>
> Whether it really makes sense to have both slotmem and socache
> modules is another question ...

As said Rich, I'll ask to the author of this line

Thanks

Lucien

Re: 2.4 new features

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@apache.org>.