Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Chris Kimpton <ki...@yahoo.com> on 2001/06/28 15:47:51 UTC

How do I show a portlet the user has not selected via customizer

Hi,

Thanks for the info on the jetspeed.vm - thats working great.

With jetspeed1.3a1, we had a search portlet, which had a link to an

We did this with a link like this;

/portal/portlet/AdvancedSearch

It seems that the latest cvs jetspeed does not support this feature,
it doesn't restrict the portlet to the one specified and only shows
it if the user has selected it via the customizer.

Any suggestions on how to achieve something similar with the new
version of jetspeed?

My first thoughts are to perhaps have one portlet rather than 2, but
have two modes of operation and switch between them - since the only
difference between the 2 portlets is the velocity template anyway.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

=====
Need somewhere to Live in London - http://freeflats.com

Re: How do I show a portlet the user has not selected via customizer

Posted by Chris Kimpton <ki...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

> >>an

> >>feature,

> >>shows

> >>but

> >>only

> >>anyway.
> >>
> >>In the latest CVS, you can achieve this functionality either by
> >>defining the following screen template:
> >>
> >>generic.vm:
> >>#set ($portlet = $data.Parameters.getString($jlink.PortletKey))
> >>$jetspeed.getPortlet($portlet)
> >>

> >>(you can also do that in JSP using jetspeed:portlet dynamic tag)
> >>

> >>and use the URL
> >>
> >>/template/generic/portlet/AdvancedSearch

Thinking about it more, I think the above solution is more
appropriate and will be going for that...

> >>or
> >>
> >>if you're willing to convert your Portlet to VelocityPortlet
> >>define a VelocityPortletAction which sets the "advanced" template
> >>in its buildMaximizeContext() method implementation and possibly
> >>create
> >>
> >>a different context when maximized.
> >>

> >>You can have a look at HelloVelocity /HelloAction which sets its
> >>own
> >>customization template to see how it's done.
> >>

> > I have gone down the VelocityPortlet route - but it seems that
> you
> > still need to be logged in to see a maximized version of the
> portlet
> > - does this sound correct - or is it a bug...
> >

> Right now, it's the default behavior indeed (same for Minimize),
> and these
> settings are persisted in PSML (so that if you minimize and log
> out, the
> next time you'll log in you'll find the portlet still minimized).
>
> Now, I understand that people would like in some case to have non
> persistent
> settings and allow anonymous users to use them.
>
> I have no strong opinion either way, until we release we still have
> the
> possibility to change the default behavior.
>
> May be other users would care to comment on this issue ?

I know you said others...but anyway, my vote is to leave it as is -
at least my requirements are a hack and do not need it...

Chris

=====

Posted by Raphaël Luta <ra...@networks.groupvu.com>.
Chris Kimpton wrote:

> Hi,
>
> --- Raphaël Luta <ra...@networks.groupvu.com> wrote:
>
>>Chris Kimpton wrote:
>>

>>>With jetspeed1.3a1, we had a search portlet, which had a link to
>>>
>>an

>>>We did this with a link like this;
>>>
>>>/portal/portlet/AdvancedSearch
>>>
>>>It seems that the latest cvs jetspeed does not support this
>>>
>>feature,
>>
>>>it doesn't restrict the portlet to the one specified and only
>>>
>>shows
>>
>>>it if the user has selected it via the customizer.
>>>

>>>Any suggestions on how to achieve something similar with the new
>>>version of jetspeed?
>>>
>>>My first thoughts are to perhaps have one portlet rather than 2,
>>>
>>but
>>
>>>have two modes of operation and switch between them - since the
>>>
>>only
>>
>>>difference between the 2 portlets is the velocity template
>>>
>>anyway.
>>
>>In the latest CVS, you can achieve this functionality either by
>>defining the following screen template:
>>
>>generic.vm:
>>#set ($portlet = $data.Parameters.getString($jlink.PortletKey))
>>$jetspeed.getPortlet($portlet)
>>

>>(you can also do that in JSP using jetspeed:portlet dynamic tag)
>>

>>and use the URL
>>
>>/template/generic/portlet/AdvancedSearch
>>
>>or
>>
>>if you're willing to convert your Portlet to VelocityPortlet
>>define a VelocityPortletAction which sets the "advanced" template
>>in its buildMaximizeContext() method implementation and possibly
>>create
>>
>>a different context when maximized.
>>

>>You can have a look at HelloVelocity /HelloAction which sets its
>>own
>>customization template to see how it's done.
>>

> I have gone down the VelocityPortlet route - but it seems that you
> still need to be logged in to see a maximized version of the portlet
> - does this sound correct - or is it a bug...

Right now, it's the default behavior indeed (same for Minimize), and these
settings are persisted in PSML (so that if you minimize and log out, the
next time you'll log in you'll find the portlet still minimized).

Now, I understand that people would like in some case to have non persistent
settings and allow anonymous users to use them.

I have no strong opinion either way, until we release we still have the
possibility to change the default behavior.

May be other users would care to comment on this issue ?

Vivendi Universal Networks - Paris

Re: How do I show a portlet the user has not selected via customizer

Posted by Chris Kimpton <ki...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

--- Rapha�l Luta <ra...@networks.groupvu.com> wrote:
> Chris Kimpton wrote:
>

> > With jetspeed1.3a1, we had a search portlet, which had a link to
> an
> >
> > We did this with a link like this;
> >
> > /portal/portlet/AdvancedSearch
> >
> > It seems that the latest cvs jetspeed does not support this
> feature,
> > it doesn't restrict the portlet to the one specified and only
> shows
> > it if the user has selected it via the customizer.
> >

> > Any suggestions on how to achieve something similar with the new
> > version of jetspeed?
> >
> > My first thoughts are to perhaps have one portlet rather than 2,
> but
> > have two modes of operation and switch between them - since the
> only
> > difference between the 2 portlets is the velocity template
> anyway.
> >

> In the latest CVS, you can achieve this functionality either by
> defining the following screen template:
>
> generic.vm:
> #set ($portlet = $data.Parameters.getString($jlink.PortletKey))
> $jetspeed.getPortlet($portlet)
>

> (you can also do that in JSP using jetspeed:portlet dynamic tag)
>

> and use the URL
>
> /template/generic/portlet/AdvancedSearch
>
> or
>
> if you're willing to convert your Portlet to VelocityPortlet
> define a VelocityPortletAction which sets the "advanced" template
> in its buildMaximizeContext() method implementation and possibly
> create
>
> a different context when maximized.
>

> You can have a look at HelloVelocity /HelloAction which sets its
> own
> customization template to see how it's done.

I have gone down the VelocityPortlet route - but it seems that you
still need to be logged in to see a maximized version of the portlet
- does this sound correct - or is it a bug...

Thanks for the help,
Chris

=====

Posted by Raphaël Luta <ra...@networks.groupvu.com>.