Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Graham Bull <ca...@gmail.com> on 2008/12/16 17:23:05 UTC

SASL authentication in 1.5.4

Hi,

Does anyone know if SASL authentication is broken in Subversion 1.5.4? (I'm
using the CollabNet Subversion Server download for Windows)

I'm new to Subversion - currently evaluating it as a potential replacement
for VSS - and have a repository originally created by 1.5.2.
I just upgraded to 1.5.4 but now I can't access the repository. I've deleted
the cached auth folder and recreated my login using saslpasswd2, but now I
just get

    svn: Authentication error from server: SASL(-13): user not found: Unable
to find a callback: 2

whenever I execute 'svn list svn://localhost'. This used to work, so either
1.5.4 is broken or I'm doing something stupid!

Thanks,

Graham

Re: SASL authentication in 1.5.4

Posted by Graham Bull <ca...@gmail.com>.
I figured it out... When I reinstalled 1.5.4 (over 1.5.2) the installer
overwrote the registry entries at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Carnegie
Mellon\Project Cyrus\SASL Library (ConfFile and SearchPath). So I mistakenly
changed *both* of them to my repository's conf folder (where I've got my
SASL config file) instead of just ConfFile! I reinstalled 1.5.4 again and
just changed the ConfFile entry this time... and now my repository does
correctly SASL-authenticate using 1.5.4 :)

Regarding Subversion vs VSS... From what I've seen of Subversion, it has
some big advantages over VSS; in fact, I can't think of a single reason to
stay with VSS. I've even persuaded my company of the benefits of moving to
Subversion, so we'll be migrating our projects within a couple of months
once we're comfortable with it.

--
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored"
Aldous Huxley

Re: SASL authentication in 1.5.4

Posted by Graham Bull <ca...@gmail.com>.
Bert's correct, we're currently using Visual SourceSafe (VSS) but should be
migrating to Subversion. (I've not heard of Volume Snapshot Service, until
now. I didn't think SourceSafe and SVN were 'totally different product
types', despite their many differences!)

Posted by Edward Ned Harvey <ed...@patni.com>.

Posted by Bert Huijben <rh...@open.collab.net>.
2008/12/18 Edward Ned Harvey <ed...@patni.com>:
> Were you using the CollabNet one before?  Exactly the same download, simply
> 1.5.2 versus 1.5.4 is the only difference?  SASL is certainly still
> supported as well as it was before.  There may be some SASL details that
> logically explain what broke, (like a config file or registry entry that
> habitually gets clobbered by installing the server) but I don't know that
> very well.
>
> Also, just to be sure - SVN and VSS are totally different product types.
> The only thing they both have in common is that you can revert back to
> previous versions of files sometimes.  VSS instantly snapshots a whole drive
> automatically on a schedule (and automatically bumps off old versions as
> disk space requires.)  While SVN only tracks things as you specify, when you
> specify, is designed to never lose any old version of anything, and requires
> filesystem work to do its job.  A new file is created?  You must tell SVN to
> care about that file.  You changed a file?  You must tell SVN to commit that
> change.  Etc.   Very very different from VSS.

In the context of Subversion VSS almost always stands for Visual
Source Safe; an old version management system from Microsoft, which
even Microsoft doesn't suggest to new users. I experienced that you
can lose information with sourcesafe, but it certainly wasn't designed
to do that. (It just happens to do that for a lot of users with big
repositories)

The Volume Snapshot Service just shares the same three letter acronym.

Just a few notes to Graham for his evaluation:
* There are several projects that developed tools to migrate VSS
history to Subversion. (I used some perl scripts for this task a few
years ago but there are more recent scripts using other languages). If
you can't find them I should have some links in my archive.
* You found the AnkhSVN <http://ankhsvn.net/> SCC Provider for Visual
Studio and the VisualSVN (on top of TortoiseSVN)
<http://www.visualsvn.com> integration?

Thanks,

   Bert

Posted by Edward Ned Harvey <ed...@patni.com>.