Posted to dev@nutch.apache.org by og...@yahoo.com on 2005/09/01 00:03:21 UTC

Re: merge mapred to trunk

--- Doug Cutting <cu...@nutch.org> wrote:

> ogjunk-nutch@yahoo.com wrote:
> > I, too, am looking forward to this, but I am wondering what that
> will
> > do to Kelvin Tan's recent contribution, especially since I saw that
> > both MapReduce and Kelvin's code change how FetchListEntry works.
> If
> > merging mapred to trunk means losing Kelvin's changes, then I
> suggest
> > one of Nutch developers evaluates Kelvin's modifications and, if
> they
> > are good, commits them to trunk, and then makes the final
> pre-mapred
> > release (e.g. release-0.8).
>
> It won't lose Kelvin's patch: it will still be a patch to 0.7.

Ah, right, we could always make a 0.7.* release from release 0.7.

> What I worry about is the alternate scenario: that Kelvin & others
> invest a lot of effort making this work with 0.7, while the
> mapred-based
> code diverges even further.  It would be best if Kelvin's patch is
> ported to the mapred branch sooner rather than later, then maintained
> there.

I agree.  I'll actually see Kelvin in person tomorrow, so we'll see if
this is something he can do.  It looks like he added some much-needed
functionality in his patch, so it'd good to keep it.

Otis

Simpy -- http://www.simpy.com/ -- Find it. Tag it. Share it.