Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Jan-Willem Boer <jb...@be-value.nl> on 2007/06/21 13:07:05 UTC

catalog and xslt document() function

Hi,

I ran into a problem with the catalog file and the xslt document() function.

To include a document into the XML that flows through a Cocoon pipeline,
I am using the document() function in an XSLT stylesheet:
    <xsl:copy-of select="document(@path)"/>

The document-to-include contains a DOCTYPE declaration referring to an
external entity:
    <!DOCTYPE something PUBLIC "-//Company//DTD SOMETHING-XML//NL"
"something.dtd">

I added the DTD-file to the directory WEB-INF/entities and added a line
to the catalog file containing the PUBLIC and SYSTEM identifiers.

The problem occurs when i use the document function to include the
document directly with an absolute path, the catalog file is ignored,
and the DTD is not found.
To circumvent this, I was forced to redirect the document() function to
a cocoon pipeline like this:
    <xsl:copy-of select="document('cocoon://get-file/' + @path)"/>
instead of
    <xsl:copy-of select="document(@path)"/>

Cocoon reads the catalog and does not complain, so at least I have it
working now.

I was wondering (1) if this is expected behaviour (2) if there is
another, more elegant way to solve this: can the XSLT processor be
instructed to read the catalog somehow?

Jan Willem Boer
http://www.linkedin.com/in/janwillemboer

Re: catalog and xslt document() function

Posted by Jan-Willem Boer <jb...@be-value.nl>.
Alexander Daniel schreef:
> I don't know direct answers to your questions but I can recommend a
> different approach:
>
> Instead of using the XSLT document() function you could use the
> Include transformer
> (org.apache.cocoon.transformation.IncludeTransformer) which also
> supports caching. We use it successfully in our project.
>
> Alex

We do use the cinclude transformer in the same project. But in this case
i need to check the contents of the document before it can be included.
This would require a few extra steps if we would use the cinclude
transformer so that option is not preferable over the xpath document
function.

For example:
<xsl:variable name="doc" select="document(@path)"/>
<xsl:if test="$doc/some-element">
  <xsl:copy-of select="$doc"/>

I think the XSLT processor should be aware of the catalog file in this
case.

Jan Willem

Posted by Alexander Daniel <al...@gmx.at>.

Posted by Jan-Willem Boer <jb...@be-value.nl>.