Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com> on 2006/05/30 17:28:43 UTC

[classlib] java.util.concurrency

I'm cc-ing Doug on this because I'm certain he doesn't read our list
anymore.

Doug, can you opine regarding the ability for this project to use your
code for our implementation of j.u.c, keeping in mind our rules ensuring
that we don't use any copyrighted material or other IP for which we
don't have permission?

geir

RE: [classlib] java.util.concurrency

Posted by Nathan Beyer <nb...@kc.rr.com>.
Here's an early analysis using the code at Doug's site.

Assumptions:
* Use the code tagged JSR166_PFD [1], as this seems to be the Java 5 spec
version. The HEAD has some new code that depends on Java 6 APIs, like Deque.
* Only use and look at the code that contains a header declaring a public
domain license.

Results:
* java.util.concurrent - Only two or three classes don't compile. The two
missing dependencies are System.nanoTime and java.util.PriorityQueue, which
we'd have to write. Note that the java.util.AbstractQueue is in this
repository as public domain, so that should help.
* java.util.concurrent.atomic - None of these classes compile, as they are
dependent on a VM specific atomic locking mechanism that Harmony would have
to provide.
* java.util.concurrent.locks - Only two classes don't compile, as they are
also dependent on some VM specific locking mechanisms.

Thoughts:
* System.nanoTime() could be stubbed out and possibly temporarily
implemented as a pass through to System.currentTimeMillis().
* Once a java.util.PriorityQueue implementation is completed, a "concurrent"
module could be seeded with the java.util.concurrent package and this would
provide a good start.
* Layout a VM Java API for the necessary locking methods, which could be
part of luni-kernel or a separate concurrent-kernel. Someone with a bit more
VMI hacking would probably have some better thought here, but I thought I
viable patch might be to provide a simple Java implementation of this
locking that uses traditional Java locking. Obviously this would slightly
defeat the point of the atomic locks, but it could provide a functional test
basis.

Please reply with any comments.

-Nathan

[1]
http://gee.cs.oswego.edu/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/jsr166/?only_with_tag=JSR166_PF

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Nathan Beyer <nb...@kc.rr.com>.
I was browsing Doug's Concurrency interest page [1] and noticed that the
code is available in a CVS repository and all of the j.u.c class are
copyrighted with a Creative Commons public domain license [2]. The TCK