Posted to dev@ponymail.apache.org by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org> on 2017/05/01 17:35:05 UTC

Change UI config to yaml?

While having a cup of coffee on the balcony, I got to thinking - would
it make sense for us to convert the PM UI configuration to yaml instead
of a .lua file? It should make it less arcane to edit for non-techies.

The config could be something like this:

# ElasticSearch settings
database:
    host:               "http://localhost:9200/"
    db:                 "ponymail"
    secure:             false

# Outgoing email settings
smtp:
    host:               "localhost:25"
    accepted_domains:
        - "apache.org"
        - "*.apache.org"

# User Interface settings
ui:
    wordcloud:          false
    slow_count:         true

etc etc :)

thoughts?

With regards,
Daniel.

Re: Change UI config to yaml?

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.
On 01/05/2017 19:35, Daniel Gruno wrote:
> While having a cup of coffee on the balcony, I got to thinking - would
> it make sense for us to convert the PM UI configuration to yaml instead
> of a .lua file? It should make it less arcane to edit for non-techies.
>
> The config could be something like this:
>
> # ElasticSearch settings
> database:
>      host:               "http://localhost:9200/"
>      db:                 "ponymail"
>      secure:             false
>
> # Outgoing email settings
> smtp:
>      host:               "localhost:25"
>      accepted_domains:
>          - "apache.org"
>          - "*.apache.org"
>
> # User Interface settings
> ui:
>      wordcloud:          false
>      slow_count:         true
>
> etc etc :)
>
> thoughts?

Sounds like a sound improvement, +1
Thanks.

Regards.

--
Francesco Chicchiriccò

Tirasa - Open Source Excellence
http://www.tirasa.net/

http://home.apache.org/~ilgrosso/

Re: Change UI config to yaml?

Posted by Ulises <ul...@gmail.com>.
You still got my +1 on yaml.

I'm wondering about conflating all config files into a huge file. I also
wonder about many files, with no evident/apparent structure between files,
all scattered around. I suspect I'd lean towards
single-file-with-everything if I had to choose today.

Re: Change UI config to yaml?

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Re: Change UI config to yaml?

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.
On 06/21/2017 05:25 PM, sebb wrote:
> On 21 June 2017 at 16:01, Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org> wrote:

>>> Which two config files?
>>>
>>> I think there are at least 3:
>>>
>>> site/api/lib/config.lua
>>> site/js/config.js
>>> tools/ponymail.cfg
>>
>> This would be config.lua + ponymail.cfg, the two _server_ configuration
>> scripts. I consider config.js to be a separate UI configuration (IOW it
>> doesn't overlap anywhere with the other two and can also be used without
>> modification).
>>
>> Now...
>> If possible, we could weave config.js into the picture by having that
>> configuration generated from the yaml...that is something to think about
>> :-).
>
> If you are going to generate config files from the yaml then you could
> just as easily generate config.lua from it.
> That would avoid the overhead of requiring yaml to parse the config
> repeatedly on the web server.

I would rather wait and get a python rewrite going. This would allow us
to just parse the yaml at startup (this would be WSGI) and not every
time something runs. The JS config could, if we chose to, be generated
on that startup, thus changing the yaml and reloading the WSGI would
recreate the config.js file.

I don't have immediate plans to consolidate this while we still use Lua.
I think moving to Python completely (and adopting the yaml practice
there) is more attractive and important for growing a bigger community.

So to recap, this would not be a change in 0.10 and possibly not 0.11
either, but once we had a python version of the API.

I have a proposal in mind (and on disk), but due to travels (and my
inability to work efficiently on a laptop), I don't think I'll be able
to hand it over till August.

With regards,
Daniel.

Re: Change UI config to yaml?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: Change UI config to yaml?

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.

Re: Change UI config to yaml?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 21 June 2017 at 11:46, Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org> wrote:
> I'm gonna broach this subject again, but with a twist:
>
> Why not consolidate the two config files into one for a later release
> (after the upcoming 0.10)?

Which two config files?

I think there are at least 3:

site/api/lib/config.lua
site/js/config.js
tools/ponymail.cfg

Re: Change UI config to yaml?

Re: Change UI config to yaml?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 2 May 2017 at 18:15, Ulises <ul...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Perhaps YAML isn't the format? I know next to no Lua and I'd personally
> welcome being able to configure PM using a 3rd party format.

Have a look at the current format:

https://github.com/apache/incubator-ponymail/blob/master/tools/setup.py#L496

The above config.lua generation code ends at line 525 currently.

This could be enhanced with some more docs, but I think it's readily
understandable without needing to know Lua.

> Having said this I also acknowledge that having config as code is good in
> that you get compilation/interpreter errors if you made a mistake which is
> very nice.

Indeed.

Re: Change UI config to yaml?

Posted by Ulises <ul...@gmail.com>.

Re: Change UI config to yaml?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: Change UI config to yaml?

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.
On 05/02/2017 02:10 PM, Shane Curcuru wrote:
> Daniel Gruno wrote on 5/1/17 1:35 PM:
>> While having a cup of coffee on the balcony, I got to thinking - would
>> it make sense for us to convert the PM UI configuration to yaml instead
>> of a .lua file? It should make it less arcane to edit for non-techies.
>
> +1.  The older I get, the more and more I appreciate systems that store
> config data in very clear and easy to process formats.  Being able to
> change behaviors - or use automated deployment tools - without having to
> look into code files is definitely helpful.
>
> Separately, is there any timeline for UI/theme work in the future?

I'm working on the coffee-and-cake branch as we speak (I haven't pushed
it yet though), but it's going to take quiiiite a while - it's a
complete rewrite of all the javascript.

I might have something to demo at ApacheCon :)

With regards,
Daniel.

Re: Change UI config to yaml?

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.

Re: Change UI config to yaml?

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.
On 05/02/2017 12:03 PM, sebb wrote:
> On 1 May 2017 at 18:40, Ulises <ul...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Not just for not technically minded people (and techies too) but also
>> easier (possibly) to handle during automated deployments.
>
> How so?

I'm not Ulises, but I'd think some of the reasoning is that most config
management today is centered around yaml - so going from yaml (in cfg
mgmt) to yaml (in PM) would be easier than trying to convert to a custom
lua script.

Re: Change UI config to yaml?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: Change UI config to yaml?