Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by valleyhugger <a_...@comcast.net> on 2009/10/23 02:01:19 UTC

geronimo_home environment variable

I'm using a windows machine XP PRO. (meets miniumum requirements).  I have
just installed
geronimo geronimo-tomcat6-javaee5-2.1.4 running with jdk1.5.0_02.

I installed geronimo at C:\geronimo_home\geronimo-tomcat6-javaee5-2.1.4\bin
the environment variables are "GERONIMO_HOME" and the variable value is
"C:\geronimo_home\geronimo-tomcat6-javaee5-2.1.4;C:\geronimo_home\geronimo-tomcat6-javaee5-2.1.4\bin".

I started the server according to the "Quick start - Apache Geronimo for the
impatient" page. The server starts correctly but when I try to Create and
deploy a sample application according to this page using the shell command
deploy --user system --password manager deploy --inPlace testapp

(testapp is the directory where the test files live.) I get this error
message

C:\geronimo_home\geronimo-tomcat6-javaee5-2.1.4\bin>deploy --user system
--password manager deploy --inPlace testapp
the filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
the GERONIMO_HOME environment variable is not defined correctly
this environment variable is needed to run this program.

Is my installation incorrect or is my "geronimo_home" environment variable
incorrect.

Thanks
valleyhugger

Re: geronimo_home environment variable

Posted by Quintin Beukes <qu...@skywalk.co.za>.
As everyone says.

Just to explain it and give a tip for the future. *HOME, *DIR and
*FILE variables usually need to point to the directory where the
application is installed. *PATH variables usually contain a list of
paths to search. This isn't a standard, but in general this works.
It's always best to determine the value from the the purpose of the
variable, ie. if it's and indication of where something is located,
then it's a single path component. If it's a search strategy, then
it's usually a list of path components (ex. GERONIMO_HOME and
CLASSPATH respectively).

Quintin Beukes

Posted by kun liang <be...@gmail.com>.
Hi,valleyhugger
In my opinion,your environment variable is not set correctly . If you set
your GERONIMO_HOME=C:\geronimo_home\geronimo-tomcat6-javaee5-2.1.4,then
input the command again you will get the right output.

Hope this could help you.

Ben Liang

Posted by valleyhugger <a_...@comcast.net>.
Thank you all for your assistance. But, I did figure it out through continued
attempts.

Thanks again.

I'm moving forward with geronimo.