Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by janI <ja...@apache.org> on 2012/12/10 15:52:49 UTC

[proposal] manual create new user on upgraded wiki

we have now seen over the last period that the number of new wiki users are
very low and since the "normal" spam measures have received a -1, I propose
the following for the new Wiki.

The "new user" page is changed, to send an e-mail to
dev@openoffice.apache.org (as done manual today), and one of the sysop
reply (as today).

Thereby we can avoid a lot of spam.

If no objections within 72 hours, I will continue along that path (ONLY for
the new version of wiki).

rgds
Jan I

Re: [proposal] manual create new user on upgraded wiki

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 12/10/12 5:33 PM, janI wrote:
> to me it is a long term solution....

+1 when taking into account that we have 10 or less requests per month

Juergen

Posted by Helen russian <he...@gmail.com>.
I've verified for the new account: Testaccount. The manual
registration a new wiki user works fine:
* Email with a random password has been sent. I received it normal.
* When I first login as Testaccount with this password, Wiki offers me
change the password and shows me the form for it.
* The password is changed successfully, the login with the new
password is successfully too, but with the second trying. First Wiki
showed me "LogOut" page
(http://wiki.openoffice.org/w/index.php?title=Special:UserLogout)

Probably, new users have some problems when Wiki not immediately shows
the data of the user after login, but it can happen in case of any
method of the registration.

Helen

--
Helen

Re: [proposal] manual create new user on upgraded wiki

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by helen <he...@gmail.com>.
Hello Jan, all.

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by imacat <im...@mail.imacat.idv.tw>.

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.
It was:

- 4 days cooling off period (simple config switch)
This is quite normal, time can be adjusted, but to combat spam, it should
be at least 3 days.

- sysop approval of new accounts, before they can edit (this is NO mail,
but "inside" mwiki)
I am against this one myself, because it requires sysop to actively look in
mwiki.

We have e-mail confirmation in place, but that is a peace of cake for
spammers.

Having looked at the numbers our current situation (mail to dev list) is
the best guarantee against spam, and not a high burden for the sysop.

rgds
Jan I.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 12/12/12 10:48 AM, janI wrote:
> -1, sorry but this thread is spiraling out to a theoretical discussion, so
> I allow myself to focus it back:

I don't agree here but I am fine with the way how you plan to move forward.

So please continue the upgrade first, keep user registration manual for
now and let us come back on this later.

I am also fine to remove extension that are not used but we should not
hesitate to make use of extension if we think they can help us. I think
that is for what extensions are good for, it's the same in our office ;-)

finally my +1

Juergen

Posted by Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <an...@pitonyak.org>.
+1

--
Andrew Pitonyak
Info:  http://www.pitonyak.org/oo.php

Re: [proposal] manual create new user on upgraded wiki

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

On 12/12/2012 01:48 AM, janI wrote:
> -1, sorry but this thread is spiraling out to a theoretical discussion, so
> I allow myself to focus it back:
>
> My original proposal was (in shortform, see mail 1): "propopal: keep the
> create user as it is today, in the new version".
>
> I have received no -1, one +1 and 2 concerns:
>
> one (from imacat, mail 2): "we should avoid this kind of burden on the wiki
> admin.",
> however the number of new users is nothing compared to the 60.000 spam
> users, so this solution in my opinion keeps it low
>
> second (from helen, mail 9): "manual registration for new wiki users is not
> good."
> in mail 12 it is confirmed that the method works, it simply a fact that
> some user request an account without editing. I will add a text on e.g.
> create user page to highlight that an account it only needed for editing
> and accounts without contributions will be removed after a period (see
> other thread regarding maintenance).
>
> now since many have been discussing different solutions, I hereby ask:
> - If anybody wants to give the proposal a -1 please do so now, thanks.

Jan -- finally, +1 from me on your current proposal

Yes, more discussion is needed on long-term alternatives.
Thank you for everything you've done dealing with this problem.

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.