Posted to httpclient-users@hc.apache.org by "Langston, James" <Ja...@compuware.com> on 2010/03/04 13:55:24 UTC

responding to form login fields

Hi all,

After tons of look up - I haven't been able to find a good example of
being able
to correctly respond to a login form that is using an type="image"  to
initiate the login
process. The fields in the html are:

Username:<br>
						            <input
type="text" size="30" maxlength="60" name="username"><br>

Password:<br>
						            <input
type="password" size="30" maxlength="60" name="pwd">&nbsp;
						            <input
type="image" src="images/buttons/submit_gray.gif
<view-source:http://www.gomeznetworks.com/images/buttons/submit_gray.gif
> " name="login" align="absmiddle">

						            <input
type="hidden" name="server_string" value="">
						            <input
type="hidden" name="url_string" value="">
						            <input
type="hidden" name="query_string" value="">
						            <input
type="hidden" name="form_string" value="">

and I need to respond to username, password and login. I do not
understand how to create the NameValuePair to respond to the
image in order to submit the login and move to the next page in the
sequence.

Any thoughts, hints ?

Thanks,

Jim

//////////////////////////////////////////

Jim Langston
Technical Consultant
james.langston@compuware.com

Re: responding to form login fields

Posted by Ken Krugler <kk...@transpac.com>.
Hi Jim,

The type="image" attribute for a form just creates a visual element
that, when clicked on, triggers the form action.

The snippet of HTML below doesn't include the outer <form> element, or
more importantly its action="xxx" attribute, but that's what you want
to look for.

-- Ken

On Mar 4, 2010, at 4:55am, Langston, James wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> After tons of look up - I haven't been able to find a good example of
> being able
> to correctly respond to a login form that is using an type="image"  to
> initiate the login
> process. The fields in the html are:

> Username:<br>
> 						            <input
> type="text" size="30" maxlength="60" name="username"><br>
>
> Password:<br>
> 						            <input
> type="password" size="30" maxlength="60" name="pwd">&nbsp;
> 						            <input
> type="image" src="images/buttons/submit_gray.gif
> <view-source:http://www.gomeznetworks.com/images/buttons/submit_gray.gif
>> " name="login" align="absmiddle">
>
> 						            <input
> type="hidden" name="server_string" value="">
> 						            <input
> type="hidden" name="url_string" value="">
> 						            <input
> type="hidden" name="query_string" value="">
> 						            <input
> type="hidden" name="form_string" value="">
>
> and I need to respond to username, password and login. I do not
> understand how to create the NameValuePair to respond to the
> image in order to submit the login and move to the next page in the
> sequence.
>
> Any thoughts, hints ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim
>
> //////////////////////////////////////////
>

> Jim Langston
> Technical Consultant
> james.langston@compuware.com
>
> The contents of this e-mail are intended for the named addressee
> only. It contains information that may be confidential. Unless you
> are the named addressee or an authorized designee, you may not copy
> or use it, or disclose it to anyone else. If you received it in
> error please notify us immediately and then destroy it.

Ken Krugler
+1 530-210-6378
http://bixolabs.com
e l a s t i c   w e b   m i n i n g

RE: responding to form login fields

Posted by "Langston, James" <Ja...@compuware.com>.
Pretty simple, I did have an entity/response pair that did a GET, which
is why you see a response2/entity2, it returned the page, but I removed
that
code to get it down to just this.

Jim

      DefaultHttpClient client = new DefaultHttpClient();

        HttpPost post = new
HttpPost("http://www.gomeznetworks.com/login.asp");

        List<NameValuePair> vals = new ArrayList<NameValuePair>();
        vals.add(new BasicNameValuePair("username", "****"));
        vals.add(new BasicNameValuePair("pwd", "****"));

        post.setEntity(new UrlEncodedFormEntity(vals, HTTP.UTF_8));

        HttpResponse response2 = client.execute(post);
        HttpEntity entity2 = response2.getEntity() ;

        System.out.println("Login form get: " +
response2.getStatusLine());
        System.out.println("Response content length: "
                                    + entity2.getContentLength());

        if (entity2 != null) {
            System.out.println(EntityUtils.toString(entity2));
            entity2.consumeContent();

        client.getConnectionManager().shutdown() ;

Posted by "Langston, James" <Ja...@compuware.com>.
Hi Ernst, thanks, good tip w/ firebug - resolved the issue by supplying
values
for login.x and login.y.

Jim

/////////////////////////////////////////

Posted by "Langston, James" <Ja...@compuware.com>.
Thanks Ernst,

Already on that tangent, incorrect password, in the browser will produce

some invalid user/pwd text and give the text fields again. Nothing like
that
text comes back via httpclient submission with bogus user/pwd. I've also
wandered
over to curl which generates the exact same thing. So, I'm figuring
something
else is amiss

Jim

Posted by Ernst Nolte <er...@synquad.nl>.