Posted to dev@fineract.apache.org by Eric Owhadi <er...@esgyn.com> on 2019/06/18 16:58:52 UTC

Tricky issue to run demo-server on cloud hosted VMs - entropy / poor quality random number generation

Hi Fineracteers,
Sharing a tricky issue getting fineract-cn  demo-server to run on a VM hosted on our openStack based private cloud:
The random numbers generated were not of good quality due to low Entropy.
https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-setup-additional-entropy-for-cloud-servers-using-haveged

After I installed Haveged, the entropy numbers went above 1600, while it was around 500 without. The link suggest >1000 to be acceptable entropy number. With this, I am able to run demo server, with persist = true but only in lite mode.
Given it was tricky and time consuming to find this, I thought I'd share,
Regards,
Eric

Re: Tricky issue to run demo-server on cloud hosted VMs - entropy / poor quality random number generation

Posted by Michael Vorburger <mi...@vorburger.ch>.
-Djava.security.egd=file:/dev/./urandom

is a related gotcha - Google it...