Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by gmbradford <gm...@alcatel-lucent.com> on 2010/04/12 22:00:56 UTC

large derby log

Derby.log keeps growing and the PC eventually runs out of disk space. It's up
to 4 GB. Derby version is 10.5.3.0.
Below is a tail of derby.log:

     2010-04-12 15:36:10.843 GMT Thread[DRDAConnThread_2076582,5,main]
(DATABASE = null), (DRDAID = null), Execution failed because of a
Distributed Protocol Error:  DRDA_Proto_SYNTAXRM; CODPNT arg  = 0; Error
Code Value = 3. Plaintext connection attempt from an SSL enabled client?
     2010-04-12 15:36:10.843 GMT : Execution failed because of a Distributed
Protocol Error:  DRDA_Proto_SYNTAXRM; CODPNT arg  = 0; Error Code Value = 3.
Plaintext connection attempt from an SSL enabled client?
     org.apache.derby.impl.drda.DRDAProtocolException: Execution failed
because of a Distributed Protocol Error:  DRDA_Proto_SYNTAXRM; CODPNT arg  =
0; Error Code Value = 3. Plaintext connection attempt from an SSL enabled
client?
     	at org.apache.derby.impl.drda.DRDAConnThread.throwSyntaxrm(Unknown
Source)
     	at org.apache.derby.impl.drda.DDMReader.readDssHeader(Unknown Source)
     	at
org.apache.derby.impl.drda.DRDAConnThread.exchangeServerAttributes(Unknown
Source)
     	at
org.apache.derby.impl.drda.DRDAConnThread.sessionInitialState(Unknown
Source)
     	at org.apache.derby.impl.drda.DRDAConnThread.run(Unknown Source)

Can someone tell me what's causing this? Is my DB corrupt?
Thank you!

Re: large derby log

Posted by gmbradford <gm...@alcatel-lucent.com>.
Thanks Knut Anders, from your clues we were able to determine that the
programs aiming at the Derby network server port were some old applications
expecting to connect to a Cloudscape DB. Not surprisingly, that doesn't
work.

Re: large derby log

Posted by Knut Anders Hatlen <Kn...@Sun.COM>.
On 04/12/10 10:00 PM, gmbradford wrote:
> Derby.log keeps growing and the PC eventually runs out of disk space. It's up
> to 4 GB. Derby version is 10.5.3.0.
> Below is a tail of derby.log:
>
>      2010-04-12 15:36:10.843 GMT Thread[DRDAConnThread_2076582,5,main]
> (DATABASE = null), (DRDAID = null), Execution failed because of a
> Distributed Protocol Error:  DRDA_Proto_SYNTAXRM; CODPNT arg  = 0; Error
> Code Value = 3. Plaintext connection attempt from an SSL enabled client?
>      2010-04-12 15:36:10.843 GMT : Execution failed because of a Distributed
> Protocol Error:  DRDA_Proto_SYNTAXRM; CODPNT arg  = 0; Error Code Value = 3.
> Plaintext connection attempt from an SSL enabled client?
>      org.apache.derby.impl.drda.DRDAProtocolException: Execution failed
> because of a Distributed Protocol Error:  DRDA_Proto_SYNTAXRM; CODPNT arg  =
> 0; Error Code Value = 3. Plaintext connection attempt from an SSL enabled
> client?
>      	at org.apache.derby.impl.drda.DRDAConnThread.throwSyntaxrm(Unknown
> Source)
>      	at org.apache.derby.impl.drda.DDMReader.readDssHeader(Unknown Source)
>      	at
> org.apache.derby.impl.drda.DRDAConnThread.exchangeServerAttributes(Unknown
> Source)
>      	at
> org.apache.derby.impl.drda.DRDAConnThread.sessionInitialState(Unknown
> Source)
>      	at org.apache.derby.impl.drda.DRDAConnThread.run(Unknown Source)
>
> Can someone tell me what's causing this? Is my DB corrupt?

The above exception means that the server doesn't understand the initial
handshake from the client. If you've ruled out the suggestion in the
error message (that either the client or the server has SSL enabled
whereas the other party doesn't have), could it be that some other
(non-Derby) application attempts to connect to the port on which the
Derby network server is listening?

For example, I see the exact same exception being written to derby.log
if I start a network server listening to the default port (1527) and
then attempt to open this URL in Firefox: http://localhost:1527/.

--
Knut Anders