Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by ad...@utoronto.ca on 2008/07/10 07:28:18 UTC

some flawed benchmarks

A couple of months ago i was going through slides from gozers "From
CGI to mod_perl 2.0, Fast!" talk, which has some benchmarks comparing
CGI, perlrun and registry to each other.  At which point i realized
that i've never really known how much faster using straight handlers
is than using one of the CGI emulation layers.  I also didn't have any
idea how much faster SetHandler modperl was vs SetHandler perl-script.

So i decided to see what i could figure out.  I took gozers CGI from
the slides (slightly modified) and ran it through the paces on my
laptop, then converted the script to run as a straight handler.

here's the CGI version:

#!/usr/bin/perl

print qq[Content-Type: text/html\r\n\r\n];

print(qq[
<h1>Hello Worlds</h1>
<pre>
GATEWAY_INTERFACE: $ENV{GATEWAY_INTERFACE}
MOD_PERL: $ENV{MOD_PERL}
</pre>

]);

Here's the Handler version

package Kabob::HelloWorld;

use strict;
use warnings;

use Apache2::RequestRec ();

use Apache2::Const -compile =>qw(:common);

sub handler {
     my $r = shift;

     $r->content_type('text/html');
     $r->print(qq[
<h1>Hello Worlds</h1>
<pre>
GATEWAY_INTERFACE: $ENV{GATEWAY_INTERFACE}
MOD_PERL: $ENV{MOD_PERL}
</pre>

     ]);

     return Apache2::Const::OK;
}

1;

and here's the conf (these tests were all running through a light
mod_proxy front end too)

     <Location /cgi/>
         <IfDefine FrontEnd>
             ProxyPass http://localhost:8080/cgi/
             ProxyPassReverse http://localhost:8080/cgi/
         </IfDefine>
     </Location>
     <IfDefine BackEnd>
         ScriptAlias /cgi/ /www/p/
     </IfDefine>

     Alias /perlrun/ /www/p/
     <Location /perlrun/>
         <IfDefine FrontEnd>
             ProxyPass http://localhost:8080/perlrun/
             ProxyPassReverse http://localhost:8080/perlrun/
         </IfDefine>
         <IfDefine BackEnd>
             SetHandler perl-script
             PerlHandler ModPerl::PerlRun
             Options +ExecCGI
             PerlSendHeader On
         </IfDefine>
     </Location>

     Alias /registry/ /www/p/
     <Location /registry/>
         <IfDefine FrontEnd>
             ProxyPass http://localhost:8080/registry/
             ProxyPassReverse http://localhost:8080/registry/
         </IfDefine>
         <IfDefine BackEnd>
             SetHandler perl-script
             PerlHandler ModPerl::Registry
             Options +ExecCGI
             PerlSendHeader On
         </IfDefine>
     </Location>

     <Location /perlscript/>
         <IfDefine FrontEnd>
             ProxyPass http://localhost:8080/perlscript/
             ProxyPassReverse http://localhost:8080/perlscript/
         </IfDefine>
         <IfDefine BackEnd>
             SetHandler perl-script
             PerlResponseHandler Kabob::HelloWorld
         </IfDefine>
     </Location>

     <Location /modperl/>
         <IfDefine FrontEnd>
             ProxyPass http://localhost:8080/modperl/
             ProxyPassReverse http://localhost:8080/modperl/
         </IfDefine>
         <IfDefine BackEnd>
             SetHandler modperl
             PerlResponseHandler Kabob::HelloWorld
         </IfDefine>
     </Location>

and here's the results (which are no doubt flawed for a number of reasons)

running: ab -n 10000 [url]

CGI
Time per request:       4.591 [ms] (mean)
Transfer rate:          53.17 [Kbytes/sec] received

PerlRun
Time per request:       2.073 [ms] (mean)
Transfer rate:          114.49 [Kbytes/sec] received

Registry
Time per request:       1.442 [ms] (mean)
Transfer rate:          164.53 [Kbytes/sec] received

SetHandler perl-script
Time per request:       1.295 [ms] (mean)
Transfer rate:          189.94 [Kbytes/sec] received

SetHandler modperl
Time per request:       0.954 [ms] (mean)
Transfer rate:          250.84 [Kbytes/sec] received

I'm not sure how well you can really compare the CGI emulation numbers
to the PerlHandler numbers, but personally i think the 30%ish
improvement from perl-script to modperl is pretty amazing.  I wouldn't
have imagined it would have been that high.

Adam

Re: some flawed benchmarks

Posted by ad...@utoronto.ca.
Quoting Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com>:

> Note that CGI and FastCGI don't need the proxy frontend.

The only reason I did it that way was because that's how apache was
already set up on my laptop, and i didn't feel like dorking around
with it too much.  I could certainly change it around so that CGI and
FGCGI (if added) were handled by the light apache.  I wasn't sure how
apples to oranges that would be, but i guess in reality, people that
are running plain CGI or fast CGI probably aren't doing it on a
mod_perl enabled server.

> It is pretty cool that it works so well.  I feel like I should point
> out though, for the benefit of those using Registry, that the
> difference is only this big because the code isn't doing anything.  In
> a real-world scenario you'd see an improvement, but nothing close to
> 30%.

It's probably also worth noting that under sethandler modperl the
GATEWAY_INTERFACE env variable has no value, which results in the page
being 3 bytes shorter (iirc), which is actually a pretty big deal
since the whole page is pretty short.  The examples should likely be
modified to actually return pages that are the same length.

anything else stupid i'm missing?

adam

Re: some flawed benchmarks

Posted by Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com>.
On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 1:28 AM,  <ad...@utoronto.ca> wrote:
> and here's the conf (these tests were all running through a light mod_proxy
> front end too)

Note that CGI and FastCGI don't need the proxy frontend.

> I'm not sure how well you can really compare the CGI emulation numbers to
> the PerlHandler numbers, but personally i think the 30%ish improvement from
> perl-script to modperl is pretty amazing.  I wouldn't have imagined it would
> have been that high.

It is pretty cool that it works so well.  I feel like I should point
out though, for the benefit of those using Registry, that the
difference is only this big because the code isn't doing anything.  In
a real-world scenario you'd see an improvement, but nothing close to
30%.

- Perrin

Re: some flawed benchmarks

Posted by Dodger <el...@gmail.com>.
I appreciate this, as I'd been wondering.

But it also prompts me to.. I gotta ask...

No offence but...
Don't you know what a here_doc is?

--
Dodger

--
Dodger

Re: some flawed benchmarks

Posted by Adam Prime <ad...@utoronto.ca>.
Andy Armstrong wrote:
> It would be interesting to see how FCGI compares to those numbers.

I don't know anything about fastcgi, but i suppose i could look at that
also this evening.

Adam

Re: some flawed benchmarks

Posted by Andy Armstrong <an...@hexten.net>.
On 10 Jul 2008, at 06:28, adam.prime@utoronto.ca wrote:
> I'm not sure how well you can really compare the CGI emulation
> numbers to the PerlHandler numbers, but personally i think the
> 30%ish improvement from perl-script to modperl is pretty amazing.  I
> wouldn't have imagined it would have been that high.

It would be interesting to see how FCGI compares to those numbers.

--
Andy Armstrong, Hexten

Re: some flawed benchmarks

Posted by Adam Prime <ad...@utoronto.ca>.
I deliberately removed CGI from the script because i personally would
never use CGI in something written to be run as straight handlers, and
it obviously wouldn't make any sense to use CGI in the CGI emulations,
and then not use it in the Handler version.

Not using heredoc's shouldn't really have any effect on the (already
flawed) results, because they weren't used in any of the examples.  But
yeah, it was late and i should have been sleeping but i was dorking
around with this instead.

I'm personally not really interested in how using CGI affects the
numbers, but if other people would like to see them i can do this later
tonight.

Adam

Re: some flawed benchmarks

Posted by Dodger <el...@gmail.com>.