Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> on 2010/11/01 23:49:34 UTC

[ATTN] Deployment of maven plugin for automatic NOTICE and LICENSE resource generation

On Wed, 2010-10-27 at 22:11 +0200, Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I have the first, very simple, but already quite useful, version of the
> maven plugin for automatic NOTICE and LICENSE resource generation.
>
> The plugin can traverse the project hierarchy upwards and pick up NOTICE
> and LICENSE files at the level they are defined. That is, different
> modules within the same project can have different licenses / notice. If
> undefined on the current project level, resources of the parent project
> will be used.
>
> Please note the plugin does not use keywords expansion when generating
> NOTICE files. It simply strips away the first two lines and re-generates
> them based on parameters in the pom descriptor. This way the source
> NOTICE file remains complete and fully readable even when copied with
> the source distribution
>
> You can find the plugin code here:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpcomponents/maven-notice-plugin/trunk/
>
> I also created a branch in the HttpClient project to test the plugin. I
> personally think the project metadata looks cleaner and conciser with
> all NOTICE and LICENSE specific stuff gone.
>
> Please have a look
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpcomponents/httpclient/branches/notice-plugin-test/
>
> And here comes the main question
>
> Do we need a formal release vote in order to publish the plugin to the
> official ASF repository, even though it is not going to be distributed
> as a source tarball (official ASF release)?

Folks

If no one responds with an objection, I assume I can proceed with
deploying the maven plugin to the repository _without_ a formal release
vote.

Please respond if you see a problem with that.

Oleg

Re: [ATTN] Deployment of maven plugin for automatic NOTICE and LICENSE resource generation

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 1 November 2010 22:49, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-10-27 at 22:11 +0200, Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
>> Folks,
>>
>> I have the first, very simple, but already quite useful, version of the
>> maven plugin for automatic NOTICE and LICENSE resource generation.
>>
>> The plugin can traverse the project hierarchy upwards and pick up NOTICE
>> and LICENSE files at the level they are defined. That is, different
>> modules within the same project can have different licenses / notice. If
>> undefined on the current project level, resources of the parent project
>> will be used.
>>
>> Please note the plugin does not use keywords expansion when generating
>> NOTICE files. It simply strips away the first two lines and re-generates
>> them based on parameters in the pom descriptor. This way the source
>> NOTICE file remains complete and fully readable even when copied with
>> the source distribution
>>
>> You can find the plugin code here:
>>
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpcomponents/maven-notice-plugin/trunk/
>>
>> I also created a branch in the HttpClient project to test the plugin. I
>> personally think the project metadata looks cleaner and conciser with
>> all NOTICE and LICENSE specific stuff gone.
>>
>> Please have a look
>>
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpcomponents/httpclient/branches/notice-plugin-test/
>>
>> And here comes the main question
>>
>> Do we need a formal release vote in order to publish the plugin to the
>> official ASF repository, even though it is not going to be distributed
>> as a source tarball (official ASF release)?
>>

> Folks
>
> If no one responds with an objection, I assume I can proceed with
> deploying the maven plugin to the repository _without_ a formal release
> vote.
>
> Please respond if you see a problem with that.

I know that some projects don't think it's necessary to include
binaries in votes, but in those cases they do still vote on the source
used to create the binaries.

I don't think it's wise to release the binary without a formal vote.
If there is a problem, the RM is personally responsible.