Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> on 2005/02/04 03:33:31 UTC

Download counts?

I'm continually asked how many downloads of Tapestry there are ...
really, how many users.

I realize that this is a difficult question to answer, due to the use
of mirrors for downloads ... even so, is there any way to get this
number? Estimate it?  Guess it?
--
Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry

Re: Download counts?

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.
Henri Yandell wrote:

> So low can be very good, as it means people are using the mirrors.
>
> Ever looked into getting logs from the mirrors Vadim?

No; I believe it will be hard to impossible to do, as those mirrors are
independent entities and might not want anybody messing with theirs log files.

As it is, numbers are useful to see project growth (decline), but they are not
correct as absolute download numbers are.

Vadim

Re: Download counts?

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.
So low can be very good, as it means people are using the mirrors.

Ever looked into getting logs from the mirrors Vadim?

Hen

Re: Download counts?

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.

Re: Download counts?

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

<va...@reverycodes.com> wrote:
> Howard Lewis Ship wrote:
> > I'm continually asked how many downloads of Tapestry there are ...
> > really, how many users.
> >
> > I realize that this is a difficult question to answer, due to the use
> > of mirrors for downloads ... even so, is there any way to get this
> > number? Estimate it?  Guess it?
>
> 833 downloads in Jan'05.
>
> Vadim

Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry
Creator, Jakarta HiveMind

Re: Download counts?

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.
Howard Lewis Ship wrote:
> I'm continually asked how many downloads of Tapestry there are ...
> really, how many users.
>
> I realize that this is a difficult question to answer, due to the use
> of mirrors for downloads ... even so, is there any way to get this
> number? Estimate it?  Guess it?

833 downloads in Jan'05.

Vadim