Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Ed W. Morse" <ma...@sprintmail.com> on 2002/10/01 03:37:57 UTC

The right path; in more way than one.

Hello and Help

I need to have Tomcat working on my machine but I can't getting get the
right path in my browser.
So here Goes

My System is Windows 98
Tomcat version is 4.0.4
My Java editor is JCreator 2.5
jdk is 1.4

The install directory is D:\ApacheTomcat4\
My system directory is D:\windows

autoexec.bat settings
    set JAVA_HOME=E:\j2sdk1.4.0
    set $CATALINA_HOME=D:\ApacheTomcat4
    set  CATALINA_HOME=D:\ApacheTomcat4

I set the port to 8088 so; http:// localhost:8088/index.html pulls up the
splash screen, and in fact is where I got the addresses.

Questions:
       Is there a command or port that will get Tomcat to tell me where it
thinks the class files will be?
       What setting can I change to get Tomcat to look in a specific
directory so I can tell the compiler to put the output the class file?
        Are there any advanced tip sheets for install and configuration?
        Please respond with all revenant information. The need is urgent.

You have my personal Regards,
Ed

deserve neither liberty nor safety."
...Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Re: The right path; in more way than one.

Posted by Kwok Peng Tuck <pe...@makmal.com>.
I wrote this as a personal response to someone who had problems with the
class path as well on the mailing list. I hope it helps you as it helped
him.
Make sure to read all of it.

 >>Begin email.<<

Thank you for your help. In my haste trying to install Tomcat on our
server while my boss breathes down my neck, I never fully understood the
purpose of WEB-INF (until now).

Thank you again!

SETH

Posted by Thad Humphries <th...@mindwrap.com>.
I know that Tomcat's docs *say* this and that the JSP & servlet specs
call for this but it has not been my experience!

As I have *twice* pointed out here (to no ones acknowledgement), I have
an application that runs fine under Tomcat 4.0.? but not under 4.1.12.
It fails on objects in xerces.jar.  xerces.jar implements SAX1 and I
have always included it in my WEB-INF/lib directory thouggh it was in
common/lib of Tomcat 4.0.  I use Xerces/SAX1 (Xerces 1.4.2) with
xalan.jar (Xalan 1.2.2).

Tomcat 4.1.12 used SAX2 from xmlParserAPIs.jar in common/endorsed.  I am
getting failures from Xalan 1 because (evidently) Tomcat is sending
objects from here vs. the older Xerces in my WEB-INF/lib directory.

Yes, yes, I know that this needs to be updated.  However, the Xalan API
is radically different.  For now, conversion is impossible due to short
resources and no few customer complexities.

Posted by Andreas Probst <an...@gmx.net>.
Hi Ed,