Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ron Gomes <ro...@morganstanley.com> on 2005/04/01 00:33:57 UTC

5.0.30 Manager app returns 'OK' before app is deployed

We've run into an unexpected troublesome behavior in Tomcat 5.0.30.

We have an installation script that uses the HTTP interface of the
Manager App to install a number of Web applications in one go.

What we've found is that in some cases the Manager app returns OK to
the caller, claiming that the app has been deployed, even though it
isn't actually visible or available yet.  If you ask the Manager to
list all apps immediately after the installation script has been run,
one or more will sometimes be missing from the list, though they show
up at a later time.

This is problematic for us because what follows the app installations
depends on the apps having actually been installed.

This seems like a bug.

What's actually happening here?  At what point is an "installed" app
actually installed, and is there any way to get the synchronous
behavior that we need from the Manager App, so that we know that an
installed app is actually available at its context path?