Posted to wsrp4j-dev@portals.apache.org by "Rudnev, Alex (OCTO)" <Al...@dc.gov> on 2003/11/04 04:38:01 UTC

Forrest + Gump + Maven [RE: Upgrade to the latest Pluto]

> I would like to move to forrest + gump + maven, if only I understood
> them all. I am working on the forrest part first, then gump, then maven.
>   Any suggestions, help, guidance, contributions, etc, is welcome.

You probably already reviewed most of the documents on [
http://xml.apache.org/forrest
]. I can run forrest seed [
http://xml.apache.org/forrest/your-project.html
] and prepare initial document structure (propagate content from the
web-site back to xdocs / resources) and sent you either patch or just zipped
delta. But we will need some help from apache guys to setup forrestbot [
http://xml.apache.org/forrest/forrestbot.html
] for publishing the documentation on recurring basis. I can create some
template forrestbot.conf.xml, but most probably guys who will setup
forrestbot will do it better and faster. The only issue that I currently see
with default settings is slightly unusual project structure (i.e. build dir
in wsrp4j contains some build scripts, as opposed to build results), but it
should not create any real troubles.

I don't know what this [
http://incubator.apache.org/howtoparticipate.html
] has to do with what I just mentioned, probably it's about this [
http://incubator.apache.org/projects/wsrp4j.html
], probably not (I'm not familiar with incubation process yet). Any comment,
Julie?

Let me know if nobody has already done (or is planning to do in one / two
days) that internally, and I'll send some initial version.

About gump - I saw some message on the list about wsrp4j dependency on axis,
so probably we can get initial gump.xml from the authors. Actually, as I
understand it's already in jakarta-gump/project [
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-gump/project/ws-wsrp4j.xml
], we just will need to add dependency on jakarta-pluto once it is there as
well. It looks like it even runs on most of the servers except Rubix (which
is dead for a couple of months), i.e. on Covalent [
http://gump.covalent.net/log/ws-wsrp4j.html
], but there are some problems, because it doesn't refer log4j, castor and
pluto in the dependences. {ToDo / FixMe}.

I used Maven long time ago, and I always wanted to try it in combination
with gump and forrest, but have never tried (even not sure if it possible -
I remember that I saw some discussion about it, but don't know what was the
outcome). I'm going to setup this combination for our projects when I get
time, so if it works fine and makes sense I'll get back to it. Does anyone
have some comments on this topic in respect to this project?

Thanks,
Ru