Posted to dev@servicemix.apache.org by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@gmail.com> on 2012/05/25 22:37:32 UTC

Re: Releasing OSGi bundles of other Apache projects....

L.S.,

Thanks to Dan for pointing this out (and sorry for the horribly late reply,
while closing the bundles vote, a little bell started ringing in my head
about this thread) - with our latest bundles release containing another set
of bundles for some other Apache communities (i.e. Hadoop, Lucene, Qpid,
Solr), how about we start doing the right thing by reaching out to these
communities and checking if they are interested in adding OSGi support to
their own artifacts and perhaps see if we can help out with that (or if
they're happy to keep things the way they are now, that's fine too, I
guess, but at least they're aware that we're repackaging their artifacts).

So basically, I'm looking for volunteers (aren't we always?) here to help
with this or perhaps we even have people that are already involved in these
particular communities as well

Regards,

Gert Vanthienen
------------------------
FuseSource
Web: http://fusesource.com

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Just an update, I'm preparing a new bundles release. For each bundle in
this release, I also prepared a patch that I will propose to the
projects, creating a Jira if required.

@Dan, maybe you can mention to the board that the ServiceMix team
started to work as requested.

@team, I will send a summary on the submitted patches.

Regards
JB

On 05/30/2012 02:14 AM, Freeman Fang wrote:
> Yeah, +1 we should link to the corresponding JIRA issue in the target
> project, just done it for hadoop[1] as I just add hadoop-core 1.0.3
> bundle[2].
> Feel free to comment on that hadoop issue[1] if you want.
> [1]https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-8446
> [2]https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SMX4-1147
>
> Freeman
> On 2012-5-29, at 下午4:14, Gert Vanthienen wrote:
>
>> Hey Ioannis,
>>

>> I agree we should probably always have been doing that - not sure we're
>> consistently doing that at the moment, though (I'm sure I myself have
>> created a few bundles in the past and have not always pursued things all
>> the way through, so it's very likely that I'm not alone here)
>>
>> How about we just add a link to the corresponding JIRA issue in the
>> target
>> project to our bundle creation issue?  That way, we will have an easy way
>> to see what the status of the effort is in the target community and can
>> decide (in cooperation with the other community) on whether or not to go
>> ahead with releasing our own bundles depending on how soon they are
>> able to
>> deliver an OSGi-ready artifact.  That way, we do have a more formal
>> link to
>> what happens in the other community and we can still decide on a case by
>> case basis what the best strategy is.
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> Gert Vanthienen
>> ------------------------
>> FuseSource
>> Web: http://fusesource.com
>> Blog: http://gertvanthienen.blogspot.com/

>>> Aren't we already doing so?
>>> I would have though that most of the people creating bundles, in most
>>> cases
>>> try to contribute the OSGi support to the target project first (just to
>>> avoid the maintenance overhead).
>>>
>>> There are a lot of cases though, were the target community takes really
>>> long to apply the patch, even longer to make a release containing the
>>> patch. Not to mention cases were they are not that "cooperative".
>>>
>>> So I'd fell so much better if we had a formal way of communicating our
>>> intention to provide OSGi support either as contribution or as a
>>> ServiceMix
>>> bundle. And also some guidelines of what is a reasonable period we

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Releasing OSGi bundles of other Apache projects....

Posted by Freeman Fang <fr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@gmail.com>.
Hey Ioannis,

Posted by Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com>.