Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by sh...@accenture.com on 2010/04/22 22:56:49 UTC

5.1.0 -> 5.3.1 upgrade questions.

I have been tasked with maintenance of our ActiveMQ install on Windows, after its previous maintainer left the company. Let me say, up front, that I am brand new to it and am working to come up to speed on it, so please bear with me, if I should sound clueless.

We are running version 5.1.0. It would appear that our installation is virtually an out-of-the-zip install, with only two minor edits to the activemq.xml file (I diffed our 5.1.0 directory tree against a pristine download of it):

<managementContext>
    <managementContext createConnector="true"/>
</managementContext>

whereas in the pristine copy it is set to false, and:

<!-- <route>
    <from uri="activemq:example.A"/>
    <to uri="activemq:example.B"/>
</route> -->

whereas in the pristine copy this is uncommented.

I've been tasked with upgrading to 5.3.1 and being able to roll back to this version if need be. Looking at the changelogs for the version after 5.1.0, I see that much has changed.

My first question is this: if I make these same two changes to the 5.3.1 configuration (the first in activemq.xml and the second in camel.xml, since that's now split off), is 5.3.1 a drop in replacement for 5.1.0, that will simply 'just work' in the same way without any of our stuff that uses it noticing any difference at all?

Secondly, if we ran into trouble, could I just shutdown the 5.3.1 service, restart the 5.1.0 service and just be back in business again?

Thank you, in advance, for your time and comments.

-ste

Re: 5.1.0 -> 5.3.1 upgrade questions.

Posted by Gary Tully <ga...@gmail.com>.
Two things to note.
1) The default persistence adapter in 5.3.1 is different from 5.1.0 so you
will need to drain all persistence destinations before migration or
explicitly configure a matching persistence adapter to maintain the existing
state.
2) There have been a couple of wireformat (the client
broker protocol version) updates between 5.1.0 and 5.3.1 so you will need to
update your clients activemq jars to take advantage of the features/fixes
that precipitated these wire format changes. If you do not, negotiation will
result in the lowest common denominator feature set being used.

--
http://blog.garytully.com

Open Source Integration
http://fusesource.com

Re: 5.1.0 -> 5.3.1 upgrade questions.

Posted by Sebastian Rodriguez <sr...@gmail.com>.
Dear Shaun,
Regarding the configuration:

<managementContext>
   <managementContext createConnector="true"/>
</managementContext>

Exposes or not the activeMq to the JMX. Basically setting this to true will
let you connect the  different vm tools (jconsole, jvisualvm.exe, etc) to
the part related to activeMQ so that you can monitor it's usage in terms of
RAM, cpu usage, threads etc, and do some heap dumps and such stuff. As the
name suggest, this is basically to manage your instance of activeMQ.

<!-- <route>
   <from uri="activemq:example.A"/>
   <to uri="activemq:example.B"/>
</route> -->

Is just an example that can be found in the default configuration of
activeMQ, i guess basically for demo purposes. You can leave that commented
if your actual configuration is like that

Regarding the "out of the box" migration from 5.1.0 to 5.3.1, I should have
a look to the changes see if there are any API changes. I'll have a look
later, but I guess other people in the mailing list will be able to answer
this point with more confidence than myself :)

Concerning the migration, you can just unzip the 5.3.1 to any folder and
start it from the command line (you need of course to shutdown the 5.1.0
previously). Then, test if everything works. If not, stop the 5.3.1, restart
the 5.1.0 and check the logs to see what went wrong.
Just be careful, depending on how your program uses activeMQ, it might not
handle "correctly" the shutdown of a broker (is he connected to the broker
in failover mode, etc?), you might need to restart the program using
activeMQ between the switch from 5.1.0 to 5.3.1

Welcome to the ActiveMQ family :)
---
Seb

On 23 April 2010 04:56, <sh...@accenture.com> wrote:

> I have been tasked with maintenance of our ActiveMQ install on Windows,
> after its previous maintainer left the company. Let me say, up front, that I
> am brand new to it and am working to come up to speed on it, so please bear
> with me, if I should sound clueless.
>
> We are running version 5.1.0. It would appear that our installation is
> virtually an out-of-the-zip install, with only two minor edits to the
> activemq.xml file (I diffed our 5.1.0 directory tree against a pristine
> download of it):
>
> <managementContext>
>    <managementContext createConnector="true"/>
> </managementContext>
>
> whereas in the pristine copy it is set to false, and:
>
> <!-- <route>
>    <from uri="activemq:example.A"/>
>    <to uri="activemq:example.B"/>
> </route> -->
>
> whereas in the pristine copy this is uncommented.
>
> I've been tasked with upgrading to 5.3.1 and being able to roll back to
> this version if need be. Looking at the changelogs for the version after
> 5.1.0, I see that much has changed.
>
> My first question is this: if I make these same two changes to the 5.3.1
> configuration (the first in activemq.xml and the second in camel.xml, since
> that's now split off), is 5.3.1 a drop in replacement for 5.1.0, that will
> simply 'just work' in the same way without any of our stuff that uses it
> noticing any difference at all?
>
> Secondly, if we ran into trouble, could I just shutdown the 5.3.1 service,
> restart the 5.1.0 service and just be back in business again?
>
> Thank you, in advance, for your time and comments.
>
> -ste

> privileged, proprietary, or otherwise private information.  If you have
> original.  Any other use of the email by you is prohibited.

--
Sebastien Rodriguez