Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Laurent Hatier <la...@gmail.com> on 2011/06/22 10:23:48 UTC

HBase doesn't work....

Hi all,

I know it's maybe ridiculous but i have problems with HBase installation in
cluster. I will have follow 2-3 tutorials on it but it doesn't work.
Well, first i would like to know if it possible to have 2 servers in cluster
with HBase. I ask this because i have seen that we must have 3 servers for
Zookeeper.
Secondly, i don't have really understood the Zookeeper definition ^^ (maybe
this one can be the first ^^)
I use HDFS for root.dir but there is a lot of difference between HDFS and
/tmp for example ?
I start "hbase master start" like this and "hbase regionserver start" on the
other node.
I have already insert IP adresses in the regionserver file.
Thirdly, i have question about HDFS : when i start hbase on 1 server it
works (root.dir use HDFS) ; but when i want to see the hadoop system with
localhost:50030 (and of course i have starting all) it doesn't work... There
is a relation ?

If anyone can answer me one of these (or all ^^) thanks to you !

--
Laurent HATIER
Étudiant en 2e année du Cycle Ingénieur à l'EISTI

RE: HBase doesn't work....

Posted by "Buttler, David" <bu...@llnl.gov>.
My 2 cents:
* Master may or may not run on the same machine as a region server.  That depends more on how your distribute your tasks across your cluster than anything
* HDFS vs local filesystem: these are not really comparable.  If you run in the local file system, you can only run on one node.  If you use NFS, or another distributed file system, you have to ensure that you have all of the paths set up correctly so that you don't accidently delete important files (each server should have its own directories for HDFS data and tmp files).
* also note that some OS'es delete /tmp on reboot.  This could be disconcerting.

Dave

Posted by Doug Meil <do...@explorysmedical.com>.
Hi there-

You probably want to give this a read ...

http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#architecture

... most people run Master on the NameNode.

Re: HBase doesn't work....

Posted by Laurent Hatier <la...@gmail.com>.

Re: HBase doesn't work....

Posted by Jeff Whiting <je...@qualtrics.com>.