Posted to user@roller.apache.org by Dick Davies <ra...@gmail.com> on 2008/08/07 12:21:54 UTC

preferred Database (and appserver)?

Just a quick straw poll: what do most people run Roller on?

We currently on Glassfishv2 with a DB2 backend, I've had some problems
(the CalendarTags thread last week and some misbehaving scheduled tasks)
that are making me think about changing database
(not appserver; phrases involving 'cold, dead hands' spring to mind).

Oracle has the best support here, but it'll involve building a DB
cluster from scratch so I don't want to get something that turns out not to
work much better.

The impression I get is that MySQL is the 'preferred' database; is that fair?
Does anyone use Oracle successfully?

--
Rasputnik :: Jack of All Trades - Master of Nuns
http://number9.hellooperator.net/

Re: preferred Database (and appserver)?

Posted by Matt Raible <mr...@gmail.com>.
Tomcat + MySQL, just started my 7th year with this combination.

Matt

--
http://raibledesigns.com

RE: preferred Database (and appserver)?

Posted by "Beyer,Nathan" <NB...@CERNER.COM>.
Tomcat/Derby

Posted by Stephane Urdy <St...@CODA.com>.
Hi,

I use Tomcat (favourite servlet container) and Postgresql (favourite R/0DMS)
You can take a look here ( implemented with https/certificate, Database pooling, Mail session pooling ):
http://www.yourprog.com

Regards,

Stephane

PS: I am currently writting a French translation of the User documentation.
Send me an email if you are interested, I will probably post it in the help blog "aide" in French so the the French speaking people can blog happily with Roller.
Any doc in French for roller users beginners is appreciated, send me an email and I will add you as author of the "aide" blog.
Regards,
Stephane

________________________________

> Just a quick straw poll: what do most people run Roller on?
>
> We currently on Glassfishv2 with a DB2 backend, I've had some problems
> (the CalendarTags thread last week and some misbehaving scheduled tasks)
> that are making me think about changing database
> (not appserver; phrases involving 'cold, dead hands' spring to mind).
>
> Oracle has the best support here, but it'll involve building a DB
> cluster from scratch so I don't want to get something that turns out not to
> work much better.
>
> The impression I get is that MySQL is the 'preferred' database; is that fair?
> Does anyone use Oracle successfully?

I would guess that Tomcat and MySQL is probably the most popular configuration.

I use Tomcat/MySQL and Glassfish/MySQL for production and
Glassfish/Derby for testing.

- Dave

Re: preferred Database (and appserver)?

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dick Davies <ra...@gmail.com>.
OK, thanks all for the advice, very useful.

We switched to Oracle 10 as a backend, Glassfish v2 as the app cluster -
 so far it seems happy running 4.0.1 (4.0 breaks JavaMail on GF).

Posted by Simon Haslam <si...@yahoo.co.uk>.
I'm happily using Roller 4.0 with Oracle Application Server 10.1.3 and Oracle Database 10.2.

There are a few Roller systems running on Oracle but not many. You need to package it up as an EAR file to install on OC4J and there are a few "gotchas" (see my summary posting earlier this year). Also I've found problems customising themes and haven't got round to trying to fix properly that yet. Roller runs very reliably on Oracle though.

Following Oracle's acquisition of BEA, going forward Weblogic Server will become the strategic java server within the Oracle Fusion Middleware stack. Therefore there's probably not much point us putting much effort into OC4J deployment any longer. (The new Oracle WebLogic Server 10.3 release is just out so I will probably attempt to try Roller with that next week).

:Simon

Not happy with your email address?.