Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by nabruphonic <st...@gmx.de> on 2008/06/25 17:08:07 UTC

Tomcat: JNDI and Google Webtoolkit

Hi!

I've got a problem with my project. Here a short summary about what it is:

I wrote a web application that periodically reads out a database and shows
these information in a visual way (on a google map or a chart...).
The gwt-project and the mysql-database are on two different virtual machines
on the same computer (one is a windows vm, the other is a ubuntu vm).
Now I want to bind the gwt-project into tomcat. Therefore I set up
everything on client and server site and the communication between both
works.
My problem is the communication between the server-code and the
mysql-database. JNDI is the best way to do something like that, but I am not
very deep incorporated in this sector (tomcat). I followed some how-tos, but
I can't get my communication work.

I hope you can help me!

Here are the tools I am using:
- Apache Tomcat 5.5
- Google Webtoolkit 1.4 + GWT-Ext (auf Windows XP)
- MySQL 4.1 (auf Ubuntu)

I attempted the following things:
- copy mysql-connector-java-5.1.6-bin.jar into <TOMCAT>/server/lib
- added to <TOMCAT>/conf/context.xml the following:
Code:

      <Resource name="jdbc/eco_test" auth="Container"
type="javax.sql.DataSource" removeAbandoned="true"
         removeAbandonedTimeout="30" maxActive="100" maxIdle="30"
maxWait="10000" username="test2"
         password="test" driverClassName="com.mysql.jdbc.Driver"
         url="jdbc:mysql://192.168.7.136/eco_test" />

- added to <TOMCAT>/webapps/<MYPROJECT>/WEB-INF/web.xml the following:
Code:

      <web-app>
      	<resource-ref>
            <description>DB Connection</description>
            <res-ref-name>jdbc/eco_test</res-ref-name>
            <res-auth>Container</res-auth>
        </resource-ref>
      	[...]
      </web-app>

I think I need to add somewhere a connector? Like this:
Code:

<Connector port="80" maxHttpHeaderSize="8192" maxProcessors="150"
   connectionTimeout="20000" disableUploadTimeout="true" />

I hope you can help me, I thought I made everythink right, but I can't get
the communication work.

Thanks a lot!

Re: Tomcat: JNDI and Google Webtoolkit

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RE: Tomcat: JNDI and Google Webtoolkit

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: nabruphonic [mailto:stylophonic@gmx.de]
> Subject: RE: Tomcat: JNDI and Google Webtoolkit
>
> I moved the driver to the common-directory. Unfortunately it
> still does not work.

I doubt that whatever error message you're getting says "does not work"; you need to be specific.  Look in the Tomcat logs to see if there's anything pertinent.

>From your original message:

> - MySQL 4.1 (auf Ubuntu)
> - copy mysql-connector-java-5.1.6-bin.jar into <TOMCAT>/server/lib

Is it valid to use the 5.1 JDBC driver with the 4.1 server?

> url="jdbc:mysql://192.168.7.136/eco_test"

Is the IP address correct?  Do you need to specify a port number?

> I think I need to add somewhere a connector?

The default Tomcat config includes a <Connector> for port 8080; if you're going to use port 80, just change the default, don't add another one.  Also, if you're switching to the standard HTTP/HTTPS ports, change the redirectPort to 443.

You certainly don't want the maxProcessors attribute for a 5.5 Tomcat - that went away some time ago.  Use the Tomcat doc appropriate for your level.

 - Chuck

RE: Tomcat: JNDI and Google Webtoolkit

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Caldarale, Charles R
> Subject: RE: Tomcat: JNDI and Google Webtoolkit
>
> Is it valid to use the 5.1 JDBC driver with the 4.1 server?

Scratch that question - I see from the Connector/J doc that 5.1.6 does work with a 4.1 server.

 - Chuck

Re: Tomcat: JNDI and Google Webtoolkit

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RE: Tomcat: JNDI and Google Webtoolkit

Posted by nabruphonic <st...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

I moved the driver to the common-directory. Unfortunately it still does not
work. In my Java-Code, do I have to write only the following code to connect
with the connection pool?
Code:

DataSource ds = (DataSource)ctx.lookup("java:comp/env/jdbc/eco_test");

cn = ds.getConnection();

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.