Posted to dev@thrift.apache.org by Randy Abernethy <ra...@gmail.com> on 2014/03/15 20:41:59 UTC

Node.js npm deployment of Apache Thrift

Hello All,

Presently NPM deploys the entire thrift/lib/nodejs directory. This includes
thrift/lib/nodejs/test and thrift/lib/nodejs/example in particular. Though
there are several examples of other projects distributing full project
trees with a lib, my sense is that people use npm to deploy operational
libraries, expecting/needing only the production code to be copied. Those
interested in library builds/tests/examples/etc. will more often clone the
git repo.

There are some technical complications with deploying Apache Thrift node.js
libs with the test directory related to the server key used for ssl
testing. A copy of the server key must be distributed for the tests to
succeed, rather than linking them to the thirft/test/keys source. Other
issues such as this may be extant.

Would it not be better to have npm deploy only
thrift/lib/nodejs/lib/thrift. This would create just a thrift directory
under the npm node_modules path causing node to pickup the index.js
directly?

Sorry if this has already been discussed,
Randy

Re: Node.js npm deployment of Apache Thrift

Posted by Randy Abernethy <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hey Henrique,

I think having thrift and thrift-dev is a great idea!

In that case I guess we should keep the copies of the thrift/test/keys that
are in thrift/lib/nodejs/test and resolve all tls tests to the later (as it
is now).

-Randy

Posted by Henrique Mendonça <he...@apache.org>.
Hi Randy,