Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Jason Lingohr <ja...@lucid.net.au> on 2003/09/17 10:24:03 UTC

RCS $Id$ on doco

Has this ever been considered, a la NetBSD website pages?

I'd personally find it useful, anyone else?

--
Jason Lingohr
jason@lucid.net.au

Re: RCS $Id$ on doco

Posted by Mads Toftum <ma...@toftum.dk>.
On Fri, Sep 19, 2003 at 09:45:17AM -0400, Rich Bowen wrote:
> So, to ask again, what does this gain us? The author (or who touched it
> last) is not particularly important, and the revision number will not be
> useful to most of our readers.

Agreed. The author of the last change is pretty unimportant.

> I think perhaps that we need to do stuff for the convenience of the
> majority of our readers, not for the few developers.

Well, who says they need to see it? Just stick it in a comment.

I honestly don't care too much either way - I usually have them in my
other projects as a convenience.

vh

Mads Toftum

Re: RCS $Id$ on doco

Posted by Jason Lingohr <ja...@lucid.net.au>.
On Sun, Sep 21, 2003 at 03:46:51AM +0200, Erik Abele wrote:

> If you're talking about including the RCS ids invisibly, e.g. embedded
> in HTML comments, I'm +/-0 on this; everything else whould be too much
> IMO. But, to be honest, I also don't see any benefit from this.

Ok, topic closed.

Jason

Re: RCS $Id$ on doco

Posted by Erik Abele <er...@codefaktor.de>.
On 19/10/2003, at 05:01, Joshua Slive wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Sep 2003, Rich Bowen wrote:
>> I think perhaps that we need to do stuff for the convenience of the
>> majority of our readers, not for the few developers.
>
> I'd tend to agree.  I don't see a big benefit from this.  Although, I
> also
> don't see a big loss, so I wouldn't object too strongly if others
> supported it.

If you're talking about including the RCS ids invisibly, e.g. embedded
in HTML comments, I'm +/-0 on this; everything else whould be too much
IMO. But, to be honest, I also don't see any benefit from this.

Cheers,
Erik

Re: RCS $Id$ on doco

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Re: RCS $Id$ on doco

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Thu, 18 Sep 2003, Jason Lingohr wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 10:58:19PM -0400, Joshua Slive wrote:
>

> > On Wed, 17 Sep 2003, Jason Lingohr wrote:
> >
> > > Has this ever been considered, a la NetBSD website pages?
> > >
> > > I'd personally find it useful, anyone else?
> >
> > I'm not exactly sure of the usefullness of this.  What does it gain us?
>
> Quickly identifying lastmod time, the author, and revision.  To see if
> served pages are synced to httpd-site, and without having to walk through
> viewcvs for any of the above.

So, to ask again, what does this gain us? The author (or who touched it
last) is not particularly important, and the revision number will not be
useful to most of our readers.

I think perhaps that we need to do stuff for the convenience of the
majority of our readers, not for the few developers.

--
Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com
There's more than one way to eat a rhesus

Re: RCS $Id$ on doco

Posted by Jason Lingohr <ja...@lucid.net.au>.

Re: RCS $Id$ on doco

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Re: RCS $Id$ on doco

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Wed, 17 Sep 2003, Jason Lingohr wrote:

> Has this ever been considered, a la NetBSD website pages?
>
> I'd personally find it useful, anyone else?

I thought it was in there, but in comments. Alas, I was wrong. I think
it was at some point, but I don't remember for sure now.