Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Glen Vermeylen <gl...@gmail.com> on 2007/04/20 14:27:10 UTC

Can't create jdbc resource in context.xml

Hello everybody,

I'm trying to move a global jdbc resource out of server.xml so it is
application specific. Following is the server.xml (which works fine)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Server port="8005" shutdown="SHUTDOWN">
    <Listener className="org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener"/>
    <Listener className="org.apache.catalina.mbeans.ServerLifecycleListener
"/>
    <Listener className="
org.apache.catalina.mbeans.GlobalResourcesLifecycleListener"/>
    <Listener className="
org.apache.catalina.storeconfig.StoreConfigLifecycleListener"/>
    <GlobalNamingResources>
        <Resource auth="Container" driverClassName="com.mysql.jdbc.Driver"
maxActive="10" maxIdle="1" maxWait="10000" name="jdbc/sandwiches"
password="tomcat" type="javax.sql.DataSource"
url="jdbc:mysql://192.168.16.39:3306/sandwiches?autoReconnect=true"
username="tomcat"/>
    </GlobalNamingResources>
    <Service name="Catalina">
        <Connector acceptCount="100" connectionTimeout="20000"
disableUploadTimeout="true" enableLookups="false" maxHttpHeaderSize="8192"
maxSpareThreads="75" maxThreads="150" minSpareThreads="25" port="8080"
redirectPort="8443"/>
        <Connector enableLookups="false" port="8009" protocol="AJP/1.3"
redirectPort="8443"/>
        <Engine defaultHost="laocalhost" name="Catalina">
            <Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.DataSourceRealm"
dataSourceName="jdbc/sandwiches" debug="99" roleNameCol="role"
userCredCol="password" userNameCol="user" userRoleTable="userroles"
userTable="users"/>
            <Host appBase="webapps" autoDeploy="true" name="localhost"
unpackWARs="true" xmlNamespaceAware="false" xmlValidation="false">
            </Host>
        </Engine>
    </Service>
</Server>

What I did was remove the the <GlobalNamingResources> and <Realm > elements
from server.xml and put them inside
$CATALINA_HOME/conf/Catalina/localhost/esandwich.xml (don't mind the weird
name :) ), but I keep getting the error
"javax.naming.NameNotFoundException: Name jdbc is not bound in this Context"

esandwich.xml:
<Context docBase="c:/workspace/esandwich/WebContent/" reloadable="true"
crosscontext="true">
    <Resource name="jdbc/sandwiches" auth="Container" driverClassName="
com.mysql.jdbc.Driver"
        password="tomcat" type="javax.sql.DataSource"
        url="jdbc:mysql://192.168.16.39:3306/sandwiches?autoReconnect=true"
        username="tomcat" />

    <Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.DataSourceRealm"
        dataSourceName="jdbc/sandwiches" debug="99" roleNameCol="role"
        userCredCol="password" userNameCol="user" userRoleTable="userroles"
        userTable="users" />
</Context>

I believe the problem lies witht he <Resource> element because if only move
the <realm> element to the esandwich.xml and leave the
<GlobalNamingResources><Resource.....></...> in server.xml everything still
works. We've been searching for a few hours now and can't find the solution.
Any help would be highly appreciated.

web.xml:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<web-app id="WebApp_ID" version="2.4"
    xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee"
    <display-name>esandwich</display-name>
    <listener>
        <listener-class>
            org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoaderListener
        </listener-class>
    </listener>
    <servlet>
        <servlet-name>dispatcher</servlet-name>
        <servlet-class>
            org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet
        </servlet-class>
    </servlet>
    <servlet-mapping>
        <servlet-name>dispatcher</servlet-name>
        <url-pattern>/app/*</url-pattern>
    </servlet-mapping>
    <welcome-file-list>
        <welcome-file>index.jsp</welcome-file>
    </welcome-file-list>
    <login-config>
        <auth-method>FORM</auth-method>
        <form-login-config>
            <form-login-page>/login.html</form-login-page>
            <form-error-page>/loginError.html</form-error-page>
        </form-login-config>
    </login-config>

    <security-constraint>
        <web-resource-collection>
            <web-resource-name>default</web-resource-name>
            <url-pattern>/app/*</url-pattern>
            <http-method>POST</http-method>
            <http-method>GET</http-method>
        </web-resource-collection>
        <auth-constraint>
            <description>everyone can log in</description>
            <role-name>*</role-name>
        </auth-constraint>
    </security-constraint>

    <security-role>
        <description>The Only Secure Role</description>
        <role-name>admin</role-name>
    </security-role>

</web-app>

Many thanks in advance,
Glen.

Re: Can't create jdbc resource in context.xml

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
in your webapp WEB-INF/web.xml you will need to define the
ContextLoaderListener
then you will also need a way to define the root context

if you want to locate the parameters in your applicationContext.xml try
 <!--
   - Loads the root application context of this web app at startup,
   - by default from "/WEB-INF/applicationContext.xml".
  - Note that you need to fall back to Spring's ContextLoaderServlet for
  - J2EE servers that do not follow the Servlet 2.4 initialization order.
   - Use WebApplicationContextUtils.getWebApplicationContext(servletContext)
   - to access it anywhere in the web application, outside of the framework.
   - The root context is the parent of all servlet-specific contexts.
   - This means that its beans are automatically available in these child
contexts,
   - both for getBean(name) calls and (external) bean references.
   -->
 <listener>
  <listener-class>org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoaderListener</listener-class>
 </listener>

<!-- This will display The root application context
   - Location of the XML file that defines the root application context.
   - Applied by ContextLoaderServlet.
  - Can be set to "/WEB-INF/applicationContext-hibernate.xml" for the
Hibernate implementation,
- "/WEB-INF/applicationContext-ojb.xml" for the Apache OJB one,
  - "/WEB-INF/applicationContext-toplink.xml" for the Oracle TopLink one,
  - or "/WEB-INF/applicationContext-jdbc.xml" for the JDBC one.
   -->
 <context-param>
  <param-value>/WEB-INF/applicationContext-jdbc.xml</param-value>
  <!--
  <param-value>/WEB-INF/applicationContext-hibernate.xml</param-value>
  <param-value>/WEB-INF/applicationContext-ojb.xml</param-value>
  <param-value>/WEB-INF/applicationContext-toplink.xml</param-value>
   -->
 </context-param>

Does this help?
Martin--

Posted by Glen Vermeylen <gl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rashmi Rubdi <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Glen,

> [...]

>     </welcome-file-list>
>     <login-config>
>         <auth-method>FORM</auth-method>
>         <form-login-config>
>             <form-login-page>/login.html</form-login-page>
>             <form-error-page>/loginError.html</form-error-page>
>         </form-login-config>
>     </login-config>
>
>     <security-constraint>
>         <web-resource-collection>
>             <web-resource-name>default</web-resource-name>
>             <url-pattern>/app/*</url-pattern>
>             <http-method>POST</http-method>
>             <http-method>GET</http-method>
>         </web-resource-collection>
>         <auth-constraint>
>             <description>everyone can log in</description>
>             <role-name>*</role-name>
>         </auth-constraint>
>     </security-constraint>
>
>     <security-role>
>         <description>The Only Secure Role</description>

-Regards
Rashmi

Re: Can't create jdbc resource in context.xml

Posted by Glen Vermeylen <gl...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the response,

We use tomcat 5.5.

-Glen