Posted to dev@pig.apache.org by Aniket Mokashi <an...@gmail.com> on 2014/02/06 00:12:37 UTC

Pig 0.13.0 release

Hi All,

A good number of improvements and bug fixes have gone into trunk recently.
I'd like to know if we can roll out a Pig 0.13 release around mid-March?

I am aware that we are planning to merge tez branch into trunk soon.
However, making a release before tez branch is merged will be good. Any
objections?

Following are few jiras we need to wrap up before 0.13 release-
PIG-3591
PIG-3740
PIG-3745
PIG-3347
PIG-3731
Any other?

Thanks,
Aniket

Re: Pig 0.13.0 release

Posted by Cheolsoo Park <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Aniket,

Thanks for raising a concern. I agree that we should not break api
compatibility between 0.13 and onwards.

Currently, I don't think we've introduced any incompatibility between trunk
and tez branch. As for Ambrose and Lipstick, we haven't decided what to do
with PPNL yet. But I will start working on it soon since I cannot deploy
Pig on Tez without Lipstick at Netflix. I will keep you in the loop so that
you can ensure whatever changes that I will make will be also fine with
Ambrose. Does this sound good to you?

Thanks,
Cheolsoo

Re: Pig 0.13.0 release

Posted by Aniket Mokashi <an...@gmail.com>.
Typos (hit send too soon):

--
"...:::Aniket:::... Quetzalco@tl"

Re: Pig 0.13.0 release

Posted by Aniket Mokashi <an...@gmail.com>.

"...:::Aniket:::... Quetzalco@tl"

Re: Pig 0.13.0 release

Posted by Koji Noguchi <kn...@yahoo-inc.com>.
For 0.13, can we get

Re: Pig 0.13.0 release

Posted by Daniel Dai <da...@hortonworks.com>.
Ok, it seems to leave no choice for a sooner 0.14.0 release then.

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 3:50 PM, Julien Le Dem <ju...@ledem.net> wrote:
> We can't use SNAPSHOT releases as dependencies of our official releases.
> They can change and disappear.
> Let's use the official release of hive when it's available.
>
> On Feb 13, 2014, at 3:33 PM, Daniel Dai wrote:
>
>> I can also use a hive 0.13.0 SNAPSHOT in PIG-3558, and then switch to
>> a released version later. Seems that's much easier.
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 2:35 PM, Daniel Dai <da...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>>> That works. I will roll a 0.14.0 release as soon as Hive 0.13.0 released.

>> --
>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Pig 0.13.0 release

Posted by Julien Le Dem <ju...@ledem.net>.

Re: Pig 0.13.0 release

Posted by Daniel Dai <da...@hortonworks.com>.

Re: Pig 0.13.0 release

Posted by Daniel Dai <da...@hortonworks.com>.
That works. I will roll a 0.14.0 release as soon as Hive 0.13.0 released.

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 2:25 PM, Julien Le Dem <ju...@ledem.net> wrote:
> I think it would be OK to release Pig 0.14 soon after if you want new features in.
> It's not more work to release 0.14 than 0.13.1 and that keeps the semantic versioning.
>
> On Feb 13, 2014, at 1:29 PM, Daniel Dai wrote:
>
>> Hive-0.13.0 will be release sometime March AFAIK. If we cannot make
>> PIG-3558 to Pig 0.13.0, I still want to put in Pig 0.13.1, though it
>> is a new feature.
>>
>> Other than those listed Jiras, there are also several unit
>> tests/system tests failures (eg, TestHBaseStorage) we need to fix.
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 11:45 AM, Aniket Mokashi <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Sounds good. Do we know a timeline for Hive-0.13 release? If its not too
>>> far, we can try to do Pig-0.13 it a few weeks after that.
>>>
>>> So far we have following jiras to wrap up before Pig-0.13 release.
>>> PIG-3591
>>> PIG-3740
>>> PIG-3745
>>> PIG-3347
>>> PIG-3731
>>> PIG-3558
>>>
>>> Any other? We can start marking jiras with corresponding version numbers.

>>> --
>>> "...:::Aniket:::... Quetzalco@tl"
>>
>> --
>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Pig 0.13.0 release

Posted by Julien Le Dem <ju...@ledem.net>.

Re: Pig 0.13.0 release

Posted by Daniel Dai <da...@hortonworks.com>.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Pig 0.13.0 release

Posted by Aniket Mokashi <an...@gmail.com>.

"...:::Aniket:::... Quetzalco@tl"

Re: Pig 0.13.0 release

Posted by Daniel Dai <da...@hortonworks.com>.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Pig 0.13.0 release

Posted by Gianmarco De Francisci Morales <gd...@apache.org>.

Re: Pig 0.13.0 release

Posted by Dmitriy Ryaboy <dv...@gmail.com>.

Re: Pig 0.13.0 release

Posted by Koji Noguchi <kn...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Re: Pig 0.13.0 release

Posted by Julien Le Dem <ju...@ledem.net>.

Re: Pig 0.13.0 release

Posted by Koji Noguchi <kn...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Re: Pig 0.13.0 release

Posted by Cheolsoo Park <pi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Pig 0.13.0 release

Posted by Julien Le Dem <ju...@ledem.net>.
To add to the discussion, I think we should release more often, based on time elapsed rather than volume of change.
The more often we release, the easier it is to release.
Also that makes it easier for contributors to use their own contributions in official releases.
It is also probably a good idea to have a clean starting point before merging the Tez branch

That said, I think those changes by themselves are enough to warrant a minor release.

Julien

On Feb 6, 2014, at 12:24 PM, Dmitriy Ryaboy wrote:

> Major updates since we release 12 that are currently in trunk:
>
> - lazy output (don't generate empty part files)
> - jar caching optimization
> - automatic local mode for small job (big wall-clock wins for long-tail
> jobs)
> - improved support for BigInteger, BigDecimal
> - hbase loader improvements
> - debug mode that leaves temp files around for examination (!)
> - fixes to a few nasty bugs (PIG-3641)
> - pluggable execution engine allowing work like Tez and Spork
> - .. and more
>
> I'd say this justifies a release.

> On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 3:55 PM, Aniket Mokashi <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> List I mentioned is pending tasks before we can make a release.
>>
>> A complete list of contributions can be seen at -
>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/pig/trunk/CHANGES.txt?view=markup.
>>
>> Some of the things that make it a good candidate for a release-
>> - PIG-3419 (has several backwards incompatible api changes)
>> - PIG-2672
>> - PIG-3642
>> - PIG-3463
>> - PIG-3511
>> - PIG-3657
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Aniket
>>

>> On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 3:23 PM, Olga Natkovich <on...@yahoo.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Just going by the list that Aniket provided, I don't really see enough
>> for
>>> a full release. Two mentioned JIRAs are doc updates and one is a bug fix
>>> that was ported into Pig 12.
>>>

>>> On Wednesday, February 5, 2014 3:13 PM, Aniket Mokashi <
>>> aniket486@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> A good number of improvements and bug fixes have gone into trunk
>> recently.
>>> I'd like to know if we can roll out a Pig 0.13 release around mid-March?
>>>
>>> I am aware that we are planning to merge tez branch into trunk soon.
>>> However, making a release before tez branch is merged will be good. Any
>>> objections?
>>>
>>> Following are few jiras we need to wrap up before 0.13 release-
>>> PIG-3591
>>> PIG-3740
>>> PIG-3745
>>> PIG-3347