Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Brian McDonald <b....@ieee.org> on 2003/05/06 04:22:10 UTC

Which version Tomcat 4.1 to download/install?

Hi. I'm confused about which version of Tomcat I should download. My environment
is a Windows 2000 Pro machine running IIS5 as the web server. I've got an August
'02 install of the Java 2 SDK - namely, j2sdk1.4.0_01 and j2sdkee1.3.1.

The document RUNNING.txt (located at
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/RUNNING.txt) doesn't give any
direction as to which Tomcat binary one should download and install. So I went
ahead and downloaded tomcat-4.1.24.zip. Then I came across a post on Tomcat-User
stating that if you've got the JDK 1.4 on your machine, you should install the
LE version of the binary. Is this true? Is JDK the same thing as SDK? (Is J2EE
required?)

And further, should I download the EXE or the ZIP? Is there printed matter
stating the difference between the two?

Brian

Re: Which version Tomcat 4.1 to download/install?

Posted by Kwok Peng Tuck <pe...@makmal.net>.
The exe also allows you to install tomcat as a service under winnt and
allows you to set the user and password for the admin webapp, plus puts
an entry into the windows Add/Remove Program.

Posted by Brian McDonald <b....@ieee.org>.
Thanks for pointing that out, Sasha.

Is there a document that further fleshes out the differences (pros/cons) between
the JDK 1.2+ and JDK 1.4 Tomcat binaries?

Brian

Posted by Sasha Borodin <sa...@whoissasha.com>.