Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Werner Punz <we...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/27 10:34:52 UTC

myfaces 2.0 really java6?

Hello ok I should have consulted the spec, but we have a compile target
of java 6 in our myfaces 2.0 builds. I am not sure if jsf2.0 really opts
  for java 6?
I assumed it is really java 5 still or am I wrong?

Cheers

Werner

Re: myfaces 2.0 really java6?

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmail.com>.
Simon Lessard schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> Actually the original release was intended to be in sync with JEE 6, so
> Java 6 was ok and used (I do use Deque). However, it was announced
> recently that 2.0 will be out before JEE 6 and a maintenance release of
> JSF (hopefully 2.1) will be bundled with JEE 6. Therefore, I guess your
> point is valid as it should be possible to simply add jsf 2.0 jar to
> your application and use it if the app server is configured to load
> applications classes before shared classes. Consequently, I'll modify
> the code to support Java 5 classes as soon as I get some free time.
> (it's still lower priority than other tasks)

Ok guys thanks a lot for the clarification...

Werner

Re: myfaces 2.0 really java6?

Posted by Simon Lessard <si...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Actually the original release was intended to be in sync with JEE 6, so Java
6 was ok and used (I do use Deque). However, it was announced recently that
2.0 will be out before JEE 6 and a maintenance release of JSF (hopefully
2.1) will be bundled with JEE 6. Therefore, I guess your point is valid as
it should be possible to simply add jsf 2.0 jar to your application and use
it if the app server is configured to load applications classes before
shared classes. Consequently, I'll modify the code to support Java 5 classes
as soon as I get some free time. (it's still lower priority than other
tasks)

Regards,

~ Simon

Re: myfaces 2.0 really java6?

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
good news, werner :-)

http://markmail.org/message/ir6p5hu35vjznatv

-M

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 11:19 AM, Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 11:13 AM, Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

>>> Well a not totally unimportant userbase is the one, who integrates the jsf
>>> core into tomcat or other servlet runners.
>>> Some of them if not many of them will be stuck on JDK5 for political
>>> reasons. :-)
>>>
>>> As much as I love to target the latest technology, I think for a core
>>> framework we should be a tad more conservative, but as I said that
>>> is just my 2c regarding the entire situation. Especially since targetting
>>> JDK5 does not induce pain like it did with JDK4 when everyone finally wanted
>>> to get up to JDK5 for various reasons regarding the language extensions :-)
>>
>> yes, I know. I have never that I want to have JSE 6, I just want to reflect the
>> spec requirements correctly. Let me ping the folks on the RI dev-list for that
>> type of q.
>
> http://markmail.org/message/pgzsrexxf6ftmvju
>

>> -M
>>

>>> As I said just a personal opinion, nothing more!
>>>

>> --
>> Matthias Wessendorf

> Matthias Wessendorf

Matthias Wessendorf

twitter: http://twitter.com/mwessendorf

Re: myfaces 2.0 really java6?

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 11:13 AM, Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 11:08 AM, Werner Punz <we...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Matthias Wessendorf schrieb:

>>> they changed that date to September..

>>> I doubt that much vendors will add additional support for JSF 2 in
>>> their existing
>>> JavaEE 5 environments
>>>
>> Well a not totally unimportant userbase is the one, who integrates the jsf
>> core into tomcat or other servlet runners.
>> Some of them if not many of them will be stuck on JDK5 for political
>> reasons. :-)
>>
>> As much as I love to target the latest technology, I think for a core
>> framework we should be a tad more conservative, but as I said that
>> is just my 2c regarding the entire situation. Especially since targetting
>> JDK5 does not induce pain like it did with JDK4 when everyone finally wanted
>> to get up to JDK5 for various reasons regarding the language extensions :-)
>
> yes, I know. I have never that I want to have JSE 6, I just want to reflect the
> spec requirements correctly. Let me ping the folks on the RI dev-list for that
> type of q.

http://markmail.org/message/pgzsrexxf6ftmvju

> -M
>

>> As I said just a personal opinion, nothing more!
>>

> --
> Matthias Wessendorf

Matthias Wessendorf

twitter: http://twitter.com/mwessendorf

Re: myfaces 2.0 really java6?

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: myfaces 2.0 really java6?

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmail.com>.

Re: myfaces 2.0 really java6?

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 10:49 AM, Werner Punz <we...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well I can live with it although I dont see too much reason to target java6
> codewise, since we do not use too many new features of it extensively
> (In january it was just one data structure which replaced the old Stack data
> structure that was it).
>
> I think we should target java5 still in our core codebase to allow the
> integration into jee5 based servlet runners.
> Although JEE6 will come out in summer probably, JEE5 will be the defacto

they changed that date to September..

> base for the years to come, since the migration from jee4 to jee5 happens as
> we speak by now!

I doubt that much vendors will add additional support for JSF 2 in
their existing
JavaEE 5 environments

-Matthias

--